Using Mirrors as backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBones

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking of using some mirrors as a background to give more depth. Is there anything in the mirror coating that could harm the fish and plants if it leeched into the water? And if so, what would be best to coat it with to protect the water?

Or am I way out in left field here and mirrors are the worst thing I could be thinking of using? <slap>

Thanks,
Steve

why dont you just put it on the outside of the tank? wouldnt that be easier?

why dont you just put it on the outside of the tank? wouldnt that be easier?

I was kind of hoping to hide the filter tubes in behind. That's why I was worried about the water coming in contact with the backs of the mirrors.

ahh,ok. i would guess it would be fine,but lets wait for someone else to chime in.

If you wanted to hide the filter tubes, you should probably get some plants that just grow big, that'll cover up the filter tube pretty well...

I was thinking of using some mirrors as a background to give more depth. Is there anything in the mirror coating that could harm the fish and plants if it leeched into the water? And if so, what would be best to coat it with to protect the water?

Steve

My worry would be any anti glare / scratch resistant coating. Don't know if there's an easy way to tell ... other than just researching.

Your best bet would be plants, slate cave, ornaments to hide some of the tubs etc.

My worry would be any anti glare / scratch resistant coating. Don't know if there's an easy way to tell ... other than just researching.

Your best bet would be plants, slate cave, ornaments to hide some of the tubs etc.

I'm pretty confident, knowing what and where these panels came from, that there isn't any glare/scratch coating. I'm more worried about the silver backing or whatever it is now a days they use. I don't know if that would be in an inert state or not.

I could seal it all in and that would solve the problem but I figured the wasted space that I would create at the corners (for the design) could be used for filter tubes, heater, air tubes etc.

I could go the route of sealing it in and connecting the pipes directly to the mirrors but the "easiest" would be to allow those areas to fill up with water and be pumped out and in from them.

The "sliver lining" couldn't be all that good for a tank and that binder that's on the back of the glass, wonder if silver is inert id start there I know metal is bad lol, it's not really silver anymore some kind of synthetic concoction

Back
Top Bottom