Using sand instead of gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyvinWolf

Aquarium Advice Regular
So in two of my tanks I have gravel. When researching a tank to make for my violet goby dragon I learned they need sand and one can use play sand purchased at Walmart or the like. Well my tank is up and running, 27 gal cube, brackish, with a little substrate thrown on the bottom for eventual plants.

There seems to always be a fine "mist" of sand in the tank. Granted its only been up a few days, but is that normal or will it eventually clear out?

Also I read that people prefer sand instead of gravel. Why? I know the VG needs it because of the soft scales and the way they eat. I do admit I like the look so far, but worried about the "mist".

So in two of my tanks I have gravel. When researching a tank to make for my violet goby dragon I learned they need sand and one can use play sand purchased at Walmart or the like. Well my tank is up and running, 27 gal cube, brackish, with a little substrate thrown on the bottom for eventual plants.

There seems to always be a fine "mist" of sand in the tank. Granted its only been up a few days, but is that normal or will it eventually clear out?

Also I read that people prefer sand instead of gravel. Why? I know the VG needs it because of the soft scales and the way they eat. I do admit I like the look so far, but worried about the "mist".

I just changed over to sand from gravel and love the clean/smooth look it gives. The mist will go away soon. In two days my tank became crystal clear.

Ive asked this question in the past and it seems everyone was leaning more toward sand apparently its alot easier to maintain and looks better overall i probably will switch over soon

Back
Top Bottom