Using seasoned filter for new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EagerBetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I heard that plants and seasoned filters help cycle a new fish tank faster or instantly, Is it true or just trash? I need to cycle my 20 g and thought why not use one of the filter cartiges to help cycle it.

Moving mature bacteria from another cycled tank works..
I have done this many times.
Just test the first week or so in case there is a spike ,but most have few problems ..

Moving mature bacteria from another cycled tank works..
I have done this many times.
Just test the first week or so in case there is a spike ,but most have few problems ..

As CB stated - it works
I do it all the time . One of the reasons I run Many extra filters . You can also use in addition to the filters - Rocks and Decor. Also as CB stated, just be sure to test

I went from a ten gallon to a twenty gallon recently and did this, plus used same plants,gravel and some water. No issues, so it can be easily done.

Instant Tank Cycling

I heard that plants and seasoned filters help cycle a new fish tank faster or instantly, Is it true or just trash? I need to cycle my 20 g and thought why not use one of the filter cartiges to help cycle it.

Hello Eag...

Transfer anything from gravel and decorations to a piece of the filter media. Anything with a surface in an established tank will instantly cycle a new tank. Add fish very slowly and once fish are in the new tank, test the water for a few days to make sure the bacteria colony is working. Don't transfer old water from the old tank, there's little if any bacteria in it and you'll just be transferring dirty water to a clean tank.

B

I am going to piggyback my question onto this post. My brother is thinking of starting a freshwater tank. How long will the good bacteria last on my filter en route to my brothers new tank? It is only about a 15 minute drive so I imagine it would be manageable for me to help him out with tank cycling by sharing filter material. Thank you!

I am going to piggyback my question onto this post. My brother is thinking of starting a freshwater tank. How long will the good bacteria last on my filter en route to my brothers new tank? It is only about a 15 minute drive so I imagine it would be manageable for me to help him out with tank cycling by sharing filter material. Thank you!

Much longer than a 15 minute drive. There is a company called Angels Plus that ships seasoned biofilter media for jumpstarting the cycling process. I’ve heard good feedback from folks that have ordered/used these products.
You should be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom