Using seeded media in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was lucky enough to get a HUGE amount of filter media (fibre) from a trusted friend who takes great care of his tanks and fish.

After squeezing some of the media into the tank, I've stuffed my HOB filter with as much as I could, before my media. It's full, but still has good flow.

My question is - when do I take his media OUT? I know that when I do my media won't handle as much ammonia as mine and his combined did.

Not sure what the next step is. The cycle is almost complete. (Not trying to quote Darth Vader here lol )

Thanks!

Gavin

I say leave it in until it's almost falling apart. No need to remove it IMO. Do your water changes etc and just leave it be. If you have good flow with it and it's not hurting anything then just forget about it.

I gotta say I never rung it out into my tank though. Never heard of that, that's a new one for me. I've always just taken the wet media and dropped it into my filter.

I read that in a good thread and decided to chance it. VERY cloudy for an hour but the waters crystal clear again.

Back
Top Bottom