Using Well Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have well water where I live, and we've been using city water from a friend, but that makes weekly water changes hard, and my fish are the ones that will be suffering when I have to skip them. So, what are your experiences with well water, and what do I need to test it for before using it? Thanks in advance for your help! :D

I use my well water as my tap water is high in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Test for nitrates.

Test for hardness.

Test for PH straight out of the ground and then again after at least 24 hours of bubbling and expose it to light for a while during that time.

Does it stink of sulfur? Shouldn't use it.

Is it too high in iron? If it's a sprinkler system well, does it leave your walkways and driveway stained red? Shouldn't use it.

Okay. My test kit is either at my dads or in storage. We moved just recently, so my tank is at my dads, and some supplies got put in storage! It's crazy. I'll test that as soon as I can. Thanks!

I have well water where I live, and we've been using city water from a friend, but that makes weekly water changes hard, and my fish are the ones that will be suffering when I have to skip them. So, what are your experiences with well water, and what do I need to test it for before using it? Thanks in advance for your help! :D

Hello Bett...

Aquatic fish and plants are adaptable, so as long as you treat your well water for the normal chemicals, like chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, you should be fine.

Skipping water changes really isn't an option. They keep the water chemistry stable. Flushing large amount of water through your tank weekly, will guarantee healthy fish and plants.

B

well water does not contain chlorine or chloramine... i would suggest adding Prime to your tank prior to refill, that will help with the amm, Ates and Ites.

BBradbury said:
Hello Bett...

Aquatic fish and plants are adaptable, so as long as you treat your well water for the normal chemicals, like chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, you should be fine.

Skipping water changes really isn't an option. They keep the water chemistry stable. Flushing large amount of water through your tank weekly, will guarantee healthy fish and plants.

B

I know all about water changes, that's why I was trying to find a way to make them easier. I still haven't had a chance to test the well water yet.

rreekers said:
well water does not contain chlorine or chloramine... i would suggest adding Prime to your tank prior to refill, that will help with the amm, Ates and Ites.

Nor should it contain ammonia or nitrites but will, more than likely, contain nitrates. It could also contain some metals that you don't want in your tank so treating with a water conditioner, like Prime, is still a must.

Back
Top Bottom