UV filter or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is UV filters good or bad in a reef tank?

• Its a must have.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its good but not that good.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok....lets get a poll and suggestions on UV filters.
Iknow i have read somewhere that they are goo but kill too much in the water if you have coral and filter feeders but on the other hand...they greatly reduce the amount of algae.

whats a good one...the turbo twist?

I have a turbo twist and a Current model (can be found on the drfostersmith site).
Current seems alot more solid and comes with all sorts of nifty piping extras.
Turbo twist claims more surface area, so more exposure.
Toss up between the two I guess.
I don't get algae outbreaks and havn't lost any fish to communicable disease so far, so either i am pretty lucky or the uv's help.

I have a Turbo Twist 36w as well and it's amazing how much it keeps my water clean. I ordered it awhile ago from fosters & smith and it was on back order, so I had to wait almost a month for it. Needless to say, I was a month without my skimmer and my water got really cloudy even with PWC's every other week.

I've gone with and without them and I would recommend having one and spending good money to get a good one.

UV can kill plankton etc in the water.. In a well kept aquairum, the impact doesn't seem to be of consequence tho.
I have several (9) corals going in my favorite reef tank, and they are colorful and growing.
It has a UV hooked up to eliminate parasites, so it basically kills anything that passes thru it.

i have a 90 gal...waht size/watt turbo twist should i get?? can i run it on a mag5 pump? jsut tryin not ot have to buy another PH or pump when i have 2 mag 5 extras

I think the 18w is the min you can use to kill parasites.
A mag 5 would prolly be pushing way too much flow. The instructions of the unit comes with the recommended gph for the different uses.
As for the mag 5, you could always use a ball valve to restrict the flow, just be sure to put the valve after the output on the mag, not before.

I would probably go with the 36W if i were getting a turbo twist for a 90g. i would recommend a Current though. My friend has a turbo twist and i have a Current and we have both come to the conclusion that the Current is a much better product. A mag 5 would push way to much water. I would get a pump that pushes slightly less water than what the UV calls for. The longer the exposer period the better.

pearsont74 said:
curious as to how to how many coral pieces you guys have with you UV filter?

img_662012_0_2ab9258a0b81f55a85adaa85c16c7731.jpg

Also to clarify, This is a UV light and not a filter. What goes in will come out. It might not be alive when it come out but it does not filter anything out.

Back
Top Bottom