UV Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbeni007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 40 gal tank was looking a little cloudy, so I read that uv filters help keep the bacteria that cause the cloudy water. I installed a well reviewed filter and I left it on all night, the next morning the water was much clearer but all my fish were dead. What did I do wrong? Thnx.

What brand and how did you install it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a Kedsum 13" submersible T5 UV light sterilizer. Instructions where very basic, make sure it turns, and glass is not cracked. Put in water and turn it on, which is what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a Kedsum 13" submersible T5 UV light sterilizer. Instructions where very basic, make sure it turns, and glass is not cracked. Put in water and turn it on, which is what I did.

Did you put it in the water with the fish? Fish should not be directly exposed to UV, it is lethal.

What I have read is that this is an exposed light to be used in a separate tank to filter water.

Please make sure you cover the light. It isn't safe for you either.

Last edited:
Yes, I did put it in directly with the fish as per the instructions. I haven't been able to read anywhere that says you shouldn't. But now I know. What should I cover the light with?

I have read where people who did not have a separate tank to filter the water put the light in a pvc tube with their intake or outtake to insure the water is passing the light but the fish are not exposed.

I would be cautious of the pvc and what it could be harbouring and the impact on the tank as well. But I have pics of lots of set ups using standard white pvc. Just clean and rinse it well.

Sorry for your loss of fish friends. ?

Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom