UV light in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I have two canisters pumping UV light into my 75 gallon is that enough for plants to grow (I only have LED light on top of the tank)? Or is there something else that comes out of those full spectrum bulbs that my filters can't provide?

UV light in a filter is not for growing plants. It's a sterilizer that kills free floating algae that's associated with algae blooms (green water).

What type of fixture are you using on your tank? That's what grows plants if it's strong enough.

I have a fluorescent fixture that I rewired to hold an LED T8 bulb. So I could put the ballast back if I wanted to put a fluorescent bulb back in, but I haven't really decided whether I want to grow plants. I'm doing a community tank of mostly Tang cichlids.

I had only a single t8 bulb on my tank for a bit. I started to see slow growth, I ended ip going t5. I got a great quad 25. 24 inch bulbs at 6500k each. Now my vals are growing like weeds and finally providing needed shade for my old plants.I got the light from ebay for 70 bucks, and instantly I saw a difference. It also came with built in led night lights. My glow fish look awesome.

Just my 2 cents, but upgrade your lighting if you want to see some nice plants in your tank.

ForumRunner_20130613_191627.jpg

It is adjustable to 36 inches. I am going to add another soon.

ForumRunner_20130613_191627.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130613_191803.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130613_191803.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 42
Time to get rid of some of my low light plants. Got one called parrot feather, it sucks for aquariums, best suited for a pond. The top 3 inches stays green and the lower leaves just make a mess when they die.

Back
Top Bottom