Uv Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do UV Sterilizers really work against diseases

• Yes, they work great

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No, they are a waste of money

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • in between, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • What is a UV sterilizer???

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
so ive seen a bunch of stuff online about the use of uv sterilizers to combat diseases in aquariums while researching ways to combat columnaris. Ive got the problem under control so far, but i was just curious on the opinions of you guys as to how effective these really are

I have a friend that owns a fish store and he use to swear by them. Then his light went out and the replacement was $200. So he left it off. Now he says they do nothing. He left his off and there was no noticable difference in any of his tanks. So who knows.

I know in ponds there used to control algea and they do work for that.

BIG GRAVEDIG!... Oh well, why not, maybe someone will read and learn.
............................................................................................................

Looks like I'm the only, "Yes, they work great." vote.

But, they MUST be properly set up for dwell time appropriate to their wattage.
They are only effective against certain aquatic nasties if the particular nasties spend sufficient time exposed to their UV rays.
Their quartz sleeves and the water must be clean so as the UV can fully penetrate.

Example:
A Coralife 3X 9W Turbo Twist kills parasites, algae & bacteria effectively at a flow rate of 55gph or less, greater than 55gph and it won't kill parasites as effectively, if at all. Higher flow rate are still effective for algae (up to 171gph) and bacteria (up to 253gph).

Too many people do not keep the sleeves clean, do not prefilter water, or they hook it up to a powerhead and/or canister with a inappropriate gph.

Most UV units sold for the aqaurium are so undersized they do little if anything at all. It is all about dwell time, in combination with the design and rating of the unit. Not everything passing through is bad and should be killed (pods in sw, etc.).

IMO they may offer some small benefit that does not just the cost of an appropriately sized unit in a SW tank. Never usied in FW, so I can't speak to their use there.

Actually UV is useless in saltwater because SW has such a high amount of dissolved solids in it. The solids make it harder for the UV to penetrate the water effectively. You need an extremely tight fitting crystal sleeve for SW UV to be any use. Under 4mm is the best for SW.

I used one for about 10 yrs. I dont use one now because it broke and I need to get a new one. I voted they work great but they work good for what they are supposed to work against. IMO they work great for parasites and algea spores. I`ve had pretty good luck with my UV on that. The only bad thing is that it only works with what goes through the lighted chamber. Any that are at the substrate or in other places of the tank will not be affected.

Back
Top Bottom