UV Steralizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if anyone uses a UV steralizer with there freshwater aqaurium and if so are they using an RO system as well? I am still a little unsure about what a UV steralizer does, but I am setting up a new aqauarium soon and I want the best possible enviorment for my fish.

now listen "I" do not have either a UV sterilizer or an RO system. however my friend (whom has told me EVERYTHING about his tanks) does........ it is my understanding that a UV sterilizer basically kills anything organic in the water that passes though it........ kinda scary if you ask me..... but it is also my understanding that they are used primarily by SW tanks and.... well i dont know exactly what use it would do in a FW tank......... although if you had a specific use for it then... well go for it but i "do not think that you need a RO system" however i, as i have said, am not an expert on it... well i hope it helped!!!!!

A UV sterilizer kills free floating algae, algae spores, and some parasites such as ich. It has no effect on algae that attach to glass or decor. UV light is very destructive to DNA. However, UV sterilizers are designed so that neither you nor your fish are ever exposed to harmful UV light - just the water that passes through the unit.
I wouldn't consider it an essential piece of equipment for the FW tank.

RO water is commonly used in SW tanks as you probably already know. In FW, it's only needed if your tap water is extremely hard or contains very high nitrates. Some people with well water find it necessary to mix RO with their tap water.

I invested in a coralife turbotwist about 2 months ago to cure a green water problem. It went from pea green soup to crystal clear in about 2 days! I leave it off now and only turn it on when I introduce new fish.

The UV rays actually do not kill anything that passes through it but actually makes it unable to reproduce.

wow i might consider getting one now....having listened to some people who have them.... it might be usefull.......

Back
Top Bottom