UV Sterilizer Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHIFT_Unique

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i have a 9watt Tetra Pond UV Sterilizer. with a marineland powerhead to flow the water through the sterilizer and hose into my tank for outlet.

But it doesnt flow as much as i think it should. The sterilizer is in the cabinet under the tank, with 5/8" tubing running up to the powerhead about 4'ft top to bottom and another 5/8" hose running from the outlet of the sterilizer back to my tank another 4'ft.

Do i need a more powerful pump?

Sterilizer
img_750955_0_44085e1426157edbcca7bbc3cec79612.jpg

Power Head
img_750955_1_114fe9b43317e157f7ada778ebcb8bbc.jpg

Outlet
img_750955_2_b4e5cb865d8750b88b5b4143b436936a.jpg

German Blue Ram for fun
img_750955_3_eefb128246a6271c8c16a18693ae433f.jpg

Great looking tank from what I can see there. The product info I found on what you listed states GPH capacity at 900gph, enough to turn your tank into a whitewater biotope. So I would say go as high as you feel comfortable. When I purchased mine I looked at price first and not the gph capacity and ended up with a mis match in gear. My xp2 filter is supposedly rated at 350 and the uv at 250, I switched the running time from lights on only to 24/7 for a major difference.

Good Luck!!

I usually work with much bigger pumps than what you would find in aquaria but I think the general principles apply.

This may sound silly, but some pumps can suck much better than they can discharge. Have you considered letting the pump suck water through the uv unit instead of trying to push it through? IME these little power head pumps are made to pump into an open tank and develope very little head pressure. Take your finger and place it over the discharge of your power head and see how little effort it takes to stop flow. When you consider that the uv also adds the equivalent of a long piece of hose to your discharge, and all of the friction that comes with that added "hose". You will slow down or nearly stop the flow quite easily.

I have no experience with UV sterilizers on aquariums but I'm not sure that a power head is the best selection for this type of application. Maybe a pump that will develope more head pressure before it "shuts off".

Back
Top Bottom