uv sterilizer size question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish7740

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have been thinking of a UV to prevent parisites

I would like to hook it up to my Fuval 405 (aprox 340 gal/hr with pads, carbon, and bio-cylinders as recomended)

im thinking 36-40 watts??? or will a 24 watt work?

100gal, i could add another powerhead for flow but i dont really want any more equip in the tank (no sump).

any ideas?

thanks

I'm thinking a smaller pump and slower flow is gonna be better. Shooting water thru them things too fast would only stun the target organisms. You wanna kill'm IMO.

Check the flow rated for the 15w and match a pump to it. Otherwise (even thought some don't), I'd put a flow regulator on the output side of what you're thinking about using to slow that flow down. Of course the 40w would handle a faster flow, but I'm not feeling it I guess.

Not sure, but that seems too fast.

My 18W Jebo (cheap, yeah, I know) really restricts flow on its own - so what would normally be around 250GPH from my return pump (according to a 4' head height) I'm guessing is dropping me down to around 150GPH.

If you're at 300 now, you might find yourself much lower after adding the UV if it restricts flow much at all.

They have cheap flow measuring gadgets at marinedepot.com.

Never go by what a manufacturer rates their product for. I wouldn't get less than a 25W for 100-125g gal tanks. And definatly don't put more than 150 gph through it no matter how many watts it is, your just wasting electricity if the water flows through too fast because you won't be killing what u want to.

Current makes good sterilizers and the Coralife TT aren't bad either.

I mispoke. Mine is a 36W Jebo.

Still serious overkill for a 75g tank, running about 150GPH.

Haven't had a single parasite or algae bloom since using it. I used to get cloudy water for days after a PWC.

Back
Top Bottom