Vacation while Fishless Cycle not complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne stuart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling my 8 gallon Bio Orb for weeks now and I still haven't seen any nitrates or nitrites. Next week I'm heading out of town for 4 nights. I have someone feeding the cats and fish in my other tank but what do I do about this partially complete fishless cycle? I just did a PWC because the PH had dropped really low. Right now my Ammonia is at 4. it's dropped to 0 a couple of times and I keep dosing it back up to 4. No nitrate or nitrite signs yet.

If your ammonia is dropping to 0 then you definitely have either nitrite or nitrates. Are you performing the nitrate test correctly including timing the amount of time you are shaking the bottles?

But to answer your question, your tank will be fine. Bacteria can go up to a month without food before they die.

you will have much better results if you simply put a couple of hardy fish in there.

I know that's not the politically correct, PETA approved method, but it pretty much works flawlessly every time. ;)

No to fish. Throw some raw shrimp in tank and walk away

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will give you all the dosing you need while away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom