Valentini puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my valentini puffer used to be active and energetic but recently he hasn't moved very much and i dont know the reason for the behavior of my puffer. i had it for about a half a year and its seems perfectly normal excpet the part where its not really active. the other fishes in the tank are active and seem to be normal and no fishes attack the puffer. There is three live rocks currently in the tank and the other fishes are: yellow tang and popeye catalufa
they get along fine and the catalufa is not aggressive and seems to be friends with the puffer. i have protein skimmer which i turned on recently and the UV which on right now also a powerhead and a filter

im not sure what i should do
please help

Last edited:
btw im not sure if this thread should go here

Do you still have the clown trigger and the 60 gallon tank? Taking this info from your last thread. Like melosu said we are going to need some water test results and to know what other fish are in there. The more info you can provide the better we can help you. Last time you still didn't have water test kits yet. If this is still the case you will need to pick those up asap and let us know what we are dealing with.

How much LR do you have in the tank?
You know that tang won't be happy in a 60G.
I agree, we need some test results.

oh whoops but the tang is perfectly normal in the tank at least for now
oh and i believe alll the info is on the previous comment i left
i still have the 60 g and no i do not have the triggers. but i think i found the problem to the puffers behavior. i think its getting stressed out by the tang. but the tang isn't harming him at all
so do i have to wait for it to get along with the tang?

Unless you see the tang bullying him quite regularly i doubt that its the tang. We really need your water parameters though to get a good idea whats going on. please post
SG
ph
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
temp
Any additional info you can provide us about your system would help to get us closer as well. How much live rock (in pounds) and how long the tank has been established. What do you use for filtration?
On the unlikely event that it is the tang this shouldn't really be an issue because you will really need to start finding a better home for your tang. Even though he is small, size isn't as much of the issues as room to swim. All tangs like to have lots of room since they are such active fish and will not be happy until they can stretch their fins so to speak. Not sure what the length of your tank is but for a yellow tang i would not suggest keeping it in less then 90 with 4' of length. 6' would probably be much better. You may be able to trade the tang in for credit at your LFS and kill two birds with one stone. The fish will have a better home and it will eliminate the possibility that it is bullying your puffer.

Back
Top Bottom