vallisneria care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a vall plant that i got a few months ago and it has been on a decline ever since what care do they need? i will be adding liquid co2 to the tank on sunday?
lighting?
substrate?
root tabs yes or no?
can i use fertilizers/liquid co2?
other care needs?

:thanks:(y)

Vals will often melt on move from one tank to another, then return later once they have acclimated. I found mine did much better with root tabs than not, even with good water column ferts. I have heard they do not do well with excel (liquid co2) but mine do, I add about 1ml/10g daily. To be safe if you decide to use it, maybe ease into it with them, adding at first half as much and work up.

They spread by runners in a straight line; to help this, wait for the new shoot to be a few inches tall, cut the runner (it stays a long time) and then transplant as you would otherwise. They tend to make a mess when they run into glass as they do not reroute this straight line gracefully, so help in their spread is useful.

I trim mine when they get too long (I've had them over 6'), they seem to spread a bit more if you trim more aggressively, but emphasis on "seem".

I find they look best when they are growing under a water stream flowing past, lengthwise in a tank, so they have room to spread out. If the stream is blowing toward them, as the leaves get long they make a tangled mess (though, some people might like that).

I have them growing equally well in sand and in gravel.

My experience is with the Americanus (jungle) val variant, there are others and I know naught for those.

Liquid co2 may cause melt on vals!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

so its kind of a hit or miss? ill try it see if it works then if it dosent ill move it to a new tank. are there any other vall like plants out there?

so its kind of a hit or miss?

If you look around a lot, you will see lots of people saying that they keep vals with excel, and lots of people saying it will melt them. I suspect there are either different species involved, or other tank attributes that may impact this (ph, ferts, etc.) but have no clue what they are, or why mine (and many others) do well, and yet many others do not.

All that said, I think the cardinal rule is always the same if you decide to try it - start slow, and give it time to adjust. But my vals died back almost to nothing before really taking off, so do not rush them. A month or two, see how they do.

I have root tabs, flourish comp and leaf zone and I half dose liquid co2 and it's already growing like crazy. Tons of new growth and almost no melt

I love my fish!!!

ok will do. so excel is a liquid co2? are all liquid co2s the same the stuff im getting is a home mixture.

ok will do. so excel is a liquid co2? are all liquid co2s the same the stuff im getting is a home mixture.

Well, depends on your home mixture. Excel is probably the best known aquarium brand. Metricide is a hospital disinfectant which contains what is reportedly the same ingredient as Excep (glutaraldehyde) in a bit stronger concentration, so a lot of people buy it by the gallon and mix it up. I mix mine 200ml Metricide to 300ml water and count it nearly the same as Excel, and seems to work fine.

Other mixes may be different of course.

Not to be confused with recipies for liquids that give off actual CO2 and are used in home made co2 injectors, of course; that's completely different.

my aquareum scociety sells 12 oz. of liquid co2 for $3, and they say its a home mix

I had a small outbreak of BBA in my 16g recently, used Excel as part of the treatment, and now I have so much melt on my vals and dwarf sag. I trimmed a bunch of it out, it looks so sad. Now trying to find the right balance of ferts and light.

A lot depends on your need. Metricide is about $30/gallon, and mixed 2:3 if my math is right I think that's about a dollar per twelve oz, so if you need little of it that is not bad (and includes a bottle presumably) If you can use up a couple gallons in 6-12 months (It does not store all that well), then it's better to buy and mix. Excel is about $7 for 12oz for reference in small quantities, but even in large quantities not a lot less.

My GUESS Is your club is buying the metricide or similar and mixing it up, but I suspect they would tell you what's in it and concentration.

My GUESS Is your club is buying the metricide or similar and mixing it up, but I suspect they would tell you what's in it and concentration.
i emaild the sales person to see who made it so i can ask them

Do you recommend trimming off melted leaves or not?

Now recognize my expertise is based on one time having them melt -- I did. I figure once melted pretty badly they can no longer provide sustenance back to the plant and will just decay in the tank.

Or let the snails feast if you have a lot of them.

Be careful. Try to disinfect any Wild plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes I've done it a few times. 1/20 bleach to water. Soak and rinse. I've collected a few different plants locally this way. I keep them in buckets of water with soil base and sand cap till I need them.

Back
Top Bottom