Value of used filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would really like to get another/ possibly better filter for my 50g and I found a Fluval 305 that is 1.5-2 years old for 90$. Included is canister, motor/powerhead, 3 media baskets, 1 basket full of ceramic bio media, 2 filter sponges, hoses with intake & output ends, hose/tank clamps.
How much would you pay for this?

Canadian. If I wanted to buy one off amazon would I use the canadian version or could I buy that one?

If it's $90 brand spanking new, then offer at most $45 for it if it's in mint shape.

Pay any more than half and you could be chasing problems down with $$$s if it fails in a week. And then you'll have invested more than a new one with a warranty.

I continued through to checkout with the filter in the link to amazon that rivercats gave me and the total was over $150 so that isn't much of a deal really!
Ebay has one thats $99 with bio max and prefilter media with shipping that is only 27$.
So many choices.

I would imagine checking into Canadian amazon or ebay would be best. That link you get free shipping if you do their super saving shipping (think that's what they call it). I actually got 2 406's a couple months ago using that and they actually came really quick. Was that shipping added due to Canada... just curious.

Checked the link and see by the time you add shipping again (from here in the US) and the little tiny note: "International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges". Your right back up there. Surely there is a ebay seller or someone in Canada so you don't have to get hit with extra charges.

I found a 10 month old 405 fluval canister filter for $60, is this a better deal? I was reading some reviews and one said you have to clean it everyother day or else you'll have problems.. Is that true?

It's a better deal but makes me wonder if something is wrong with it because my daughter has a turtle tank that has had a 405 on it for two years and she is doing good to clean it every 6 months. Drives me crazy but the point is they can take a licking. I usually clean mine about 1 a month but have gone longer than that. I would actually ask why they clean it that often and what kind of problems do they have if they don't. Something sounds off to me.

The cleaning thing was on a review, this guy is just taking his tank down and starting a different hobby.

Okay, then this might be the way to go. Seriously I've been using Fluval canisters since the late 80's and I've never had one give me problems. Sounds like whomever wrote the review wasn't doing something right. Hope this works out for you, you'll really appreciate having the extra media room with using a canister, plus the extra flow you'll get. Let me know how it works out for you!

Ok thanks so much!
I have a few questions about it.
I have the AquaClear 70 filter on it right now, if I get this fluval 405 would I use both filters? Will the fluval 405 be too strong for the 50 gallon tank? The fluval 305 for $90 that I found first said it came with a powerhead. Now, I'm not quite sure what this is, but will the 405 come with it too, or was it an extra purchase added onto the filter?
Thanks !

I have a Fluval 406 on a couple 55g tanks and it is a really good size. Yes, leave the other filter on due to the Fluval needing time to buildup BB. After that you can either leave the HOB filter on to aid in filtering or take it off. You can decide later, and if you do remove it later and decide you want the added filtering then you can just pop it back on. You will not need a powerhead. You'll find the canister moves alot of water, and again if you decide you want more just use your HOB. Wouldn't spend money on something you really don't need.

I haven't actually done much with it yet so I doubt theres much if any BB in there yet! I'm still considering which way to go with cycling the darn thing..
Thanks for the info, so there is a lot of water flow from the fluval?

I think there is. I have mine set up on one end of the tank and have the outflow shooting at an angle towards the front of the tank but the angle so its going towards the other side of the tank (if that makes any sense). In the one 55 with goldies, the I have the Wisper 70 at the opposite end of the tank. It works really good without blowing the fish all over.

So I definitely want this system, but I'm wondering now if it will actually work with my setup.
Here's a picture:
fbffpl.jpg

Where would the intake and outtake tubes go with all the plants in the way?

That wouldn't be a problem at all. All my tanks are planted and they do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom