Vapour rub!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fluval 305 decided to leak allover my floor tonight i had no vassaline but i did have some vapour rub ingredients

Patrolatum (soft parafin)
Camphor
Menthol
Ucalyptus
Globulis leaf oil
Thyme
Juniperus oil

Will this smeared around the seal of my 305 kill my fish? Iv heard ghost knifes are sensitive to chemicals

My fluval 305 decided to leak allover my floor tonight i had no vassaline but i did have some vapour rub ingredients

Camphor
Menthol
Ucalyptus
Globulis leaf oil
Thyme
Juniperus oil

Will this smeared around the seal of my 305 kill my fish? Iv heard ghost knifes are sensitive to chemicals

To air on the side of caution, I would stay away from chemicals at all costs.

Thats my thoughts but its either this. Have a flooded house or leave it with no filter

Really? Why would you even consider this? I mean, even petroleum jelly is not going to stop a leak, it is a lubricant not a sealant. Fix it properly.

You could leave it without the filter till tomorrow .. soonest you'd be able to get vaseline?

Just keep the filter media wet. If your using biomax rings, you can place them in a media bag inside the tank to keep the BB alive.

The jelly may would just be a temporary fix. Sounds like it needs a new O-Ring.

New ring orderd should be here day after tomorrow iv put some rub on there and filled with water its sealed it up temporary, soonest i could get out would be saturday realistically what would be my best bet run it with the vapor rub as i don't think too much would come into contact with the water or leave it filterless? I have a 204 as a back up but iv borrowed it to my friend as his broke down ( epic fail )

Iv just done a 90% water change will it be good for the next 20 hours or so with no filtration?

Camphor
Menthol
Ucalyptus
Globulis leaf oil
Thyme
Juniperus oil

Smearing this around the filter is supposed to stop the leak? Wow. I never knew about this. I dont understand why this would act as a sealant though

Yeah it has stopped the leak so i can leave water in it so the media is okay, iv put my fluval u4 back in there with media from
The 305 tested water today and all at 0 nitrates at 10p should be good until seal arrives

Back
Top Bottom