Venimous fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you handle a fish like a fox face or lion fish if it can harm you? I have tried thinking of ways people do it because a net would be to hard for a lion fish it's spikes would get caught and you wouldn't want to add the water from your LFS

When I had SW, I had lionfish. To acclimate them I used a bucket and the drip method, then used a large, deep plastic bowl to transfer them into the tank. Just drain the water out of the bowl into the bucket, dipped it into the tank and the fish swam out.

I used a measuring jug and just added the water with my foxface and lion tbh.

I drip until the water volume has doubled then i remove half then let it double again remove half i'll do this 4-5x The thinking is it will remove most if not all of the LFS water, To transfer to the QT i use a large bowl and dump any water right in.

If it's non-venomous, I use my bare hand to transfer them, less chance of snagging scales. If it's venomous, or likes to bite, the bowl or jug method described works best.

Typically the only time you need to handle a fish is to transfer it from acclimation. If you have to pull it out of the tank for some reason it will be hard to catch it in a bucket. Unfortunately in this scenario you will have to use a net. My foxface wasn't bad in a net but I could see a lion fish being an issue. Wear rubber gloves and gently remove from the net is all I can really offer.

ive personally had both a lion fish and a foxface and I just use a net..... never really picked them up with my hands.... with the foxface its spikes may get stuck in the netting but just give the net a little wiggle and it'll let go

but once upon a time when my tank blew up and had to rescue the fish before it was too late and I scooped up the lion fish with my bare hands..... luckily I didn't get stung.

Back
Top Bottom