Vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am not liking neon tetras. I feed them a little or I skip, I give them a pea. There are 2 in my tank that have pot bellies. I'm actually afraid one has dropsy but this is the second neon in my school I have lose.

Not to mention the tank full of tetras with ICH I have but then that is a different story.

I think they eat the cory food.

Pretty sure I am not going to have anymore tetras. Sigh.

vent over.

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time with Neon tetras. I myself have neons and love them, such a colorful little fish and always active. Maybe you just got a bad batch they can be very sensitive fish if not treated properly (alot of pet stores and breeders don't go for quality instead they go for quantity) Maybe try getting some at a different pet store? IMO neon/black neon/glowlight tetras are just fun little fish!

Thanks :/ I like them too but have guilt over one death and the other ones possible explosion! LOL I am pretty sure I was feeding them too much before and the one got what looked like swim bladder or something. One of them was dropped when I purchased them but that was a long time ago.

Then they were all pulled from the tank (where they have 4 cory tank mates) medicated and fed peas day before yesterday. Yesterday I skipped and today I fed the 7 tetras like 3 pinches of food and tossed in an algae wafer for the cory's. I am not sure if the tetra has dropsy or is just a pig because he has been (at least I am pretty sure he has been) eating the algae wafer. Everytime I approach the tank he swims away from it. BAH inadvertently fed them too much again. I am still new at this I just feel guilty.

We all make mistakes, the important thing is to realize it and correct it, which you seem well on your way to doing. If you think about it people have been making mistakes since day 1 of fish keeping, how else would we have come this far? Mistakes are a good thing as long as you learn from them. Lord knows I made some MAJOR mistakes with my neons. 1 didn't cycle the tank, 2 listened to the lfs, 3 did a water change once a month, 4 barely had any filtration, the list goes on and on and on, but I came here, learned, spotted my mistakes, and low and behold I have some happy fishies! Don't get distressed and give up, just learn and no one will judge ya!

Thanks! I'm trying but don't want anymore casualties. I have 7 tetras (the big one hasn't exploded yet) and 4 corys. What feeding schedule do you recommend? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom