vertical fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramrebel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could somebody please tell me why my tiger barb likes to hang out with its nose to the ground and tail in the air? It seems healthy although in a crowded tank.

Thanx,
Ed

Is this at night or early morning?I have lots of Barbs I notice they seem to do this when ""sleeping"" at least thats what it seems to me.I have a 55 with 12 tigers green and and albino and I see them doing this often does not seem to be any prob,like I said they seem to just be resting.

he's swimming and he'll just wind up tail over nose and hang out there for a while and them come back. happens all the time

I t hink he's nose heavy for some reason/

thanx for your input

Ed

sorry to say possible internal parasite.I have a pearl gourami on its last legs so to speak and I have tried every med onthe topic to no avail.Mine is now showing signs of external problems as well.

Hi Ram,
I have noticed with my barbs as well, that they like to hang nose down occasionaly. Particularly when they sleep. Also at times during the day they. If they turn for the worse, which I am sure they won't, then be more concerned, but for now just enjoy their antics.

Hi Ramrebel,

I have 9 Tiger Barbs and they do it also. It is late at night and early morning, I think Radhoth and Somethingfishy are correct, it's a resting / sleeping position.

All I have to do is walk near the tank and they, snap right out of it and line up "wagging" like it's feeding time.

I wouldn't be alarmed.

They may not be tropical, but my goldfish are also prone to sleeping nose down. I just think its a fish thing!!

I had tiger barbs before and that is what they did when sleeping at night...never seen them do this durring the day though.

just a barb question, how many tiger barbs will fit in a 10 gal tank. i have 6, and i was wondering if this was crowded

Hi coolkidthatlikesfish,

just a barb question, how many tiger barbs will fit in a 10 gal tank. i have 6, and i was wondering if this was crowded
The rule of thumb for freshwater tanks is 1 inch of fish per gallon - Your tank is 10 gallons, so that is 10 inches of fish.

Tiger Barbs grow to about 3 inches long - 6 of them would equal 18 inches of fish.

However, the rule can be bent a little if you have good filtration and do regular water changes.

I hope this helps.

yeah, actually it does. I was also wondering that if i upgrade to a 20 gal, could i do some red fin sharks? i really like them.

Back
Top Bottom