VERY gravid blushing whiteskirt tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moncakat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed eggs in my blushing white skirt tetra about 3 months ago. She is the only one of her kind in my tank, so she can't spawn with a male. I was wondering if she was waiting for a male or why she has been holding these eggs for so long. Is she ever going to 'lay' her eggs without a male? She looks about ready to pop! What do I do? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399246723.248949.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399246797.263905.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399246828.127076.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399342003.981060.jpg she also tends to teeter and tilt when she tries to swim. Looks like she's having trouble staying upright.

I've just recently gotten another blushing whiteskirt to keep her company. I do not know the gender of the one I just got, but I was hoping it would encourage the gravid one to release her eggs.

egg laying fish don't need to release their eggs for any reason other than procreation, which does not happen without a male present. They can hold their eggs an entire lifetime with no bad consequences.
That being said, if the fish is having swimming issues then it may not be her gravidness that is the problem. Make sure this is not a result of bloat or constipation or dropsy. With advanced stages of dropsy, the fish's scales will protrude and the fish will have a pinecone appearance from above. If you see the fish eating but not eliminating anything, that's a sign of constipation. Make sure your water parameters are in the acceptable zones to eliminate any of those issues.
I would check all these issues before adding more fish.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom