Very long fins on a danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have some pink danios (glofish) as well as regular danios.. One pink one has crazy long fins, no one picks on him or nips the fins.. Is he just special (as in a normal deformation) or is this a special gene.. Anyone have any info on this?
(They are really long! Like 5-6x longer than the other danios, it's beautiful :) )
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400112046.841687.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400112059.312972.jpg
I can't add the video I took :/ but you can kinda see it on the pics but you see it even more when he swims around..

Long fin danio are line bred, Selective breeding. It is quite normal from a certain point of view. Not natural, that is not as they are normally described, but not a problem. It "sort of" occurred naturally. The same thing applies to albino species and some fancy goldfish varieties. Even pedigree dogs! Bred to perfection by us.

I've got several danios in my tank. Most are longfin variants. Leopards, panthers, a zebra, a pearl, an orange glow fish panther, a yellow glow fish zebra, and a celestial. The long fins are a recessive trait, and perfectly normal. The leopards are pretty beautiful when they fully extend all of their fins - very nice yellow color around the edge of each fin. They love showing off for each other. How many do you have? They are a ton happier in groups of five or more. All of mine school with each other, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I should also mention they definitely loooove flowing water. Mine will dart across the tank to ride the current, and they also quite enjoy swimming into the current. I liken it to a dog sticking its head out of a car window. :D

I currently have 7 normal zebras and 7pink ones.. But just 1 long fin., could that be a problem ? All my danios (14) school and play together.. No picking or agressivity..
Edit: they have tons of currents and live to play in my "bubble wall" :)

Longfin or not, they'll school together. They're peaceful fish. Their curiosity can be a bugger to certain other larger, territorial fish, but they're typically fast enough to avoid a full confrontation.

Longfin or not, they'll school together. They're peaceful fish. Their curiosity can be a bugger to certain other larger, territorial fish, but they're typically fast enough to avoid a full confrontation.

Yeah I meant the zebra and pink.. And the kribs, denesoni barbs and DG leave him alone, they have been in there for almost a year... But now I'm really wanting to find more knowing that it's not that uncommon :D

Back
Top Bottom