very low bioload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowfish7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an established 29 gal, running HOB with sponge and ceramic tubes. Gravel substrate.
Ended up having to move the existing 4 tetras & 4 ghost shrimps to another tank.I took the fish out because I was worried they would eat or harass the cherry shrimp. I watched them for a while and they didn't seem to eat the shrimps but I do not think the shrimps were happy. The ghosties and the fish get along just fine.

Now this 29gal. tank only has 10-12 cherry shrimps . They are about 4mm long. They are grazing away but they don't like algae wafers or anything else I have given them.
Now I am starting to wonder if they are producing enough bioload to keep my cycle in balance.

The excess bb will die off. Are you planning on adding more fish to the tank? If so that may be an issue. So do it very slowly and watch your levels.

Yes, BB will tend to drop within a day or so if there isn't a source of food for it. You can prevent this by overfeeding until you can add more fish, but then you run the risk of uneaten food getting moldy and introducing molds and bad bacteria. In theory you could dose pure ammonia into the filter and it would process it before it hurt the shrimp without introducing crud, but I'd worry about the possibility of overdosing and/or not having it dispersed enough in the tank that you'd lose your shrimp.

That many cherry shrimp mostly likely can't produce enough ammonia. If I were you I would be careful and add fish slowly and keep an eye on the parameters.

Back
Top Bottom