Very low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just beginning to stock my new 29 gallon tank, and I would like to add some plants. My only lighting right now is a 20w 24" PowerGlow. If I plant some hairgrass or small carpet-type plant, is .7wpg enough for this? I'm really new to this, if it will work, what else do I need? I do not want to fertilize or CO2.

I'm open for other ideas, I just want something else other than my plastic plants. I have a little over .75 cft of PFS and a Emperor 150. I'm up for suggestions if something else will work better. Thanks!

No carpet plant is going to grow with less than 1 wpg. You can try java moss, java ferns anubias, anacharis and some crypt species. You can make a nice planted tank with low light, you just need to choose carefully. It would be easier if you invested in a twin tube fixture. That would put you over 1 wpg but still not require CO2 and much dosing.

Floating plants is all I got to grow well at all when I was at 1.5 watts per gallon. Carpets will never grow with that light. Anacharis, wysteria, or other flaoting plants would do well. In my experience, that lighting will grow plants but my not even my java fern grew at 1.5 watts.

Well shoot. What's the cheapest route to get some lights that will at least grow carpets? I have a standard 29g, I think its 30" wide.

Look at these.

This is the least expensive way I have found to upgrade lighting. I will be getting them to upgrade my lighting when I can afford to.

Some say they are loud, but most say they work for what they are meant for. If you get 70-80 watts of power CF you should be able to grow carpet plants pretty easy in your tank.

There is another way, the same thing I did for my 10 gallon tanks.

I simply bought a t12 48 inch fixture and put some descent bulbs in it. 80 watts of NO might be enough to grow some carpet plants especially the clovers families. If space isn't an issue then 2 of the fixtures would really light up the tank.
Total cost, $28 per fixture and no shipping, get them from home depot or Wal-mart where I got mine. There is also a t8 fixture that is supposed to be out there that uses 3 bulbs. I don't know what the wattage would be because I can't find it at Home Depot but it should be enough for your tank. Fixture might be around 75 watts but I am not sure.

Yep, I am pretty sure they come in 30 inch or close also. May just be the way to get the lighting you need. Just make sure you get a couple good bulbs and different bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom