Very pretty bright green-Algae- Good or Bad??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
Post green algae
I’ve been noticing this bright lime green algae on some of my rocks and am wondering if this is good or bad. When I started this tank, about 8wks ago, I used about 30lb live Fiji rock and about 30lb of “dead” rock, bagged and sold by CaribSea (https://www.petsolutions.com/Reef+Rock-I-12517147-I-C-10165-C-.aspx). There is a medium to moderate amount of brown algae on the cc and most rocks/glass.The green is mostly on the “dead” =white rock. Is this nuisance algae?
Tia
Mike

Attachments

• 150_5090_135.jpg
    150_5090_135.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 150_5091_137.jpg
    150_5091_137.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 227
I have some of that too. I think it will turn darker later on and eventually become coralline. That's what i think cuz it seems to be happening in my tank.

I have the same stuff. It developed after a few months and I have also heard from a few reliable sources it is a precursor to purple coraline.

Excellnt! I thought I'd heard that coraline started kinda like that, but that is what I was wanting it to be so I was second guessing myself.
Thanks a million!
Mike

Just for a confirmation, 2 of my reef club buddies stopped by today and analyzed the exact same lime green stuff in my tank. They both said definately purple coraline precursor.

I just got a bunch of live rock today...had the same stuff on it, so hopefully it'll turn purple soon too. Anyone know how long it should take? And does coraline require high lighting to grow? (hope not, as i've only got the NO lighting...)

coraline requires lighting to grow, but I think you'll be okay with the NO's for now. It may not spread as fast though. Calcium needs to be adequate too.

Back
Top Bottom