Very sick tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocstar629

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gal community tank that leading up to this outbreak had:

2 Cory's
2 Molly's
2 Cardinal tetras
2 Neon Tetras
2 Serpae Tetras
3 Glofish
1 Mystery Snail

I know the tank is overstocked and I am working on getting a bigger tank but the water parameters have been perfect for 2 months.

The tank was perfectly clear 3 nights ago when i shut the light off and went to bed. When i woke up the next morning I had a dead molly and my snail was floating in the tank. I netted the molly and got her out of the tank and then left the snail because i assumed that he was just being lazy. Later in the day the snail reattached to the wall of the tank and stayed in one spot. After that I noticed that one of my corys and one of my cardinal tetras had begun swimming erratically and were covered in white spots that looked like fungus of some kind. Shortly after they both died and i netted them out. I then tested the water and found nothing unusual but i did a partial water change just to be sure. I then noticed that all of my other fish had white spots on them as well. I ran down to the LFS and got salt stress coat and some antibacterial stuff and treated the tank with all three. I also raised the tanks temp to 82 degrees and i am working on getting it to about 86 just in case it is ich. 2 hours after treating the tank the water was crystal clear and every fish was acting happy. Now this morning my other cory died and one of my glofish is gasping for air! yesterday the white spots were all but gone, and today it is back and killing more fish! Also my plants are dying! and the snail hasn't moved from his one spot on the tank in 2 days. What is going on in this tank!

After that I noticed that one of my corys and one of my cardinal tetras had begun swimming erratically and were covered in white spots that looked like fungus of some kind.
Can you get a picture of this on any of the fish?
I then tested the water and found nothing unusual but i did a partial water change just to be sure.
Please post the actual results.
I also raised the tanks temp to 82 degrees and i am working on getting it to about 86 just in case it is ich. 2 hours after treating the tank the water was crystal clear and every fish was acting happy. Now this morning my other cory died and one of my glofish is gasping for air! yesterday the white spots were all but gone, and today it is back and killing more fish! Also my plants are dying! and the snail hasn't moved from his one spot on the tank in 2 days. What is going on in this tank!
You need a diagnosis, don't just treat for everything at once. The antibiotic can be affecting your biological filter, the salt can kill your plants, and the increased temp reduces the oxygen carrying capacity for the water. Any sudden change can stress out the fish and make problems worse.

Do a big water change, you want the salt down to about 50% of what the box says to save the plants. If you dosed according to the box, then you need a 50% water change. Add the replacement water over time so you don't shock the fish with another sudden saline change. The water change will also help with ammonia/nitrite issues caused by the antibiotic.

Since you've started with the antibiotic, you should finish the course. Follow package directions, and test daily for ammonia/nitrite. Do water changes if the ammonia/nitrite tests are off.

If you keep the heat up, be sure to add extra aeration. If you have a filter with a waterfall return, you can do this by just lowering the water level so the water splashes more upon return.

Look in the antibiotic box for a diagnosis chart and try to follow that. See if you can identify just what this is. You may need to add an antifungal treatment, but don't just add it without a reason.

Back
Top Bottom