Very Strange - "Brain" Colour Change on guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I ended up putting down my male guppy who appears to have had Dropsy, and I did a 50% water change on friday and have been medicating with melafix and pimafix since then ( 4 days now) All the fish look very happy and healthy (after I took out the sick one a couple days ago) but I have noticed something. Looking at them from above, their brains have turned dark purple. I can't say I have ever noticed this before, but I think it is a recent change. They are light coloured guppies and their flesh is quite transparent. I brought home a new male guppy today, who is light coloured also, and this fish has a normal, "fleshy" coloured brain.

None of the fish appear to be ill, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed this before in guppies or other fish. The only thing that has changed in the tank is the medication. I was planning to continue treatment until thursday, do a 25% water change and call it quits on the melafix/pimafix until it is needed again (hopefully never but that's asking a little much :)

The only thing I can think of is that there is increased bloodflow to the brain for some reason. But if so, what cuased it and is it dangerous?

Oh, the never ending new things you come accross as a newbie:rolleyes:

Wow, that's a new one on me...it might be because of the meds though...if they look fine otherwise and are eating normally and behaving normally I would go ahead and stop adding the meds and let it get diluted with your water changes. You will probably find it will return to normal...just make sure to make any changes gradually so as not to over stress them. :)

Yeah I've never heard of that one either.

I've done some research on fish anatomy and the only things I read was that young fish's brains, as with other young offsprings, will grow and change colour slightly due to increased blood flow and growth of new capillaries as they grow up. That... could be a possibility? Otherwise, after taking them off primafix/melafix, let us know if they still have that same colour. This is quite intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom