very tiny white things on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suthernsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

forgive me, I'm new to saltwater, but I recently purchased a 100gal fishonly tank from a individual, and I have had it set up for almost 2 weeks & now these little very tiny white things are in the right front corner of the tank. I have looked on this site for possible match, but I don't think they look like any of the pictures of pods or worms that have been posted. They are too small to take a picture of. They look like grains of salt running on the glass, I do not see antenna's, they do not curl, I don't know what they r or what to do Any help would be greatly appreciated. Salt levels are fine, I kept most of his water & added about 20gals of new water, the only thing my nitrates are soaring, but everything else is 0 could I have a bad test maybe or is this possible?

I'm running a Bio Wheel, 2 Power Heads, Mag 350, Protein Skimmer, I do not have live rock yet, but I will start investing soon, I think the sand is live, but I'm not sure on that neither. I'm still learning about this tank, but upset over these critters in the tank.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Nemo- Clown, Dog Face Puffer, Firefish, Scooter Blenny, just purchased a choc. chip star and mandarin Goby, excuse the spelling, but I think that is what he is..

The white things are pods or worms. It is a good sign that the tank is running right. They will not hurt anything. I had the sam question a few months back. :wink:

I would seriously consider taking the mandarin back to the LFS as it will starve without an abundance of LR in mature tank.

I agree with Atari. Also the choc. Star will be a pain in the butt in a reef tank. Trust ME on this one. Mine killed an anemone, and a xenia frag in 1 week. :wink:

I would be more concered about that puffer! He is a canivore.. I your little blenny would be a nice snack for him...

thanks ya'll I appreciate all the advise I can get. My local pet store just told me about the star would eat the reef if we started one, but he didn't say anything about the goby or dogfish puffer. the store actually sold the tank originally to the people we purchased from. all the fish were already in the tank when we purchased, we added the starfish & the goby. I will see if they will take the goby back. thanks!!! :D

im in the process of cycling my tank and i too notice white specs on the glass...the only thing i have introduced so far is dry sand and a bag of that bagged live sand (which i now know was a waste of money) could it be pods in my tank...i didnt think there was any way for them to develope in my tank yet

i fogot to mention that i also and the shrimp in...could this be pods in my case or do they ahve to come in on my lr? i thought that it was salt build up on the glass or something and was gonna wipe it off!

Sounds like it might just be sediment from the sand or the rock. Mild abiotic precip could have also formed depending on how you added the salt. If all you have added is base rock and LFS bagged sand, I highly doubt you will have any type of animal life as yet. You need to introduce it.

What was the brand name of the LS? Could be possible but I doubt it.

Cheers
Steve

sounds like either snail eggs or if you do not have snails they very well could be pods

I know the general consensus is that lfs are out to rip you off, however I have found that some of the bagged ls works great - Carib-Sea makes one called agra-alive (or something like that) I used it and ended up with lots of pods, identical to the ones you seem to be describing. I now have loads, eating all the algae etc of the glass. Fish keeping is an art not a science, sometimes what doesn't work for some does work for others! (go easy on the lfs and their products!)

yeah mine was caribsea agralive sand...but they are very little white specs like i said...looks like salt deposits

if they are like mine, if you watch them closely you will see them moving around, like miniscule underwater ants - if anyone could id them that would be great, as yet i havn't seen any pictures of something resembling them on the pod pages i have seen. As far as I can tell they are good, as they stripped the back of my tank glass of a nice layer of algae within a week! They have ignore my leather and a small Xenia, so I am not worrying, be happy your tanks is on its way!

Back
Top Bottom