Very tiny white worms floating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 4 African Dwarf Frogs residing. Awhile ago they had laid some eggs that I had tried to care for. All of them ended up dying except for one tadpole that I left in the adult tank that lived for about 10 days. I was really shocked at how he was living without me feeding him.

I ended up losing him as well (I assume the parents had eaten him) Two days ago the frogs had laid another 50ish eggs. But the next day they were all gone.

This morning I looked at the surface hoping to see a tadpole. To my surprise, I noticed VERY tiny white worms floating on the surface. I have a picture here. They are so tiny, you can just barely see them to the right of the picture. They actually look bigger in the picture.

What are these? I've read around and saw other people asking a similar question, but everyone else's worms seems to be bigger/swimming. Mine just sit there floating. Some wiggle around.

The reason I told the above story is; I assumed these were what my tadpole was feeding off of before he disappeared? Is it at all possible these worms could have destroyed the tadpole eggs? (I only ask because I read about planaria which could eat eggs/fry) The eggs are a bit bitter than them, but there are so many I don't know if they all could have caused some damage.

Since I have 4 African Dwarf Frogs, and they eat bloodworms, it's very possible there's extra food in the tank. I normally only feed the frogs 1-2 times a week though.

Do I need to be worried about these worms, or can I leave them there as a food source for any possible future tadpoles? (Crossing my fingers for more!) I don't want them to overrun the tank though. My adult frogs don't even seem to notice them, so they won't help keep the population down.

Thank you for any help. Sorry for writing so much, I just want to be as specific as I can.

I would google up pictures of planaria, hydra, and detritus worms and see if any of those look similar. I can't really see anything in that pic.

I've looked up all of those and they all are a lot bigger than what I have, and are swimming. Mine only float.

I drew over a few of them in the picture here All of the tiny white smudges floating there are the worms. They're at most 1mm big.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom