Very, very small snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcr4runner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
20200422_152613.jpg

I found this in my tank today. It's literally a fraction of a millimeter long. I zoomed in with my phone and I could see it looks like a tiny snail. The shell is transparent.

I have horned nerite snails, but they don't breed in freshwater according to everything I've read. The last time I put plants in the tank was four months ago, so I'm wondering why it would take so long to find a hitchhiker -- especially one this small.

Or is it possible that it's a snail like insuforia of some type. I made a video if it will help. But does anyone know what this is from the photo?

This is freshwater. It is adhering to the sides of the glass and moving like a snail. I could also see the mouth moving. It is SOO small that I was confused where it came from. Just a fraction of a millimeter. The only reason I knew was there was a white speck that was moving. It might be from a pond snail egg that hitchhiked on a plant from three months ago. But I didn't know they were so small.

Oh yeah! I saw some pics of limpets and this is definitely it. Probably! :) So will these overrun my tank or are they benign?

Over feeding can cause the population to increase - vac'ing the substrate especially in feeding areas and also where the food circulates around the tank and end up in a slow flow spot rotting.

I think they are really cool. Fish (some types) will sometimes eat them.

Back
Top Bottom