Virgin aquariast stocking 10 gall long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only crab species I know of is the Thai micro crab. But, I have heard they are pretty sensitive. A member named siva is good with crustaceans. I would look her up if I was you. :)
I keep ember tetras. They are pretty fun. I also just got C. habrosus and clown killifish for my 10g tank. :)There are a whole of bunch of really cool little rasboras too.

ZackReed said:
Ok good tip! I should start my cycle tonight, but I have one other question, I have a penguin 100 biowheel filter. The filter came with a carbons filter cartridge, I've been tryin to research this but keep coming up with dissenting answers. Does the carbon in that filter screw up a fishless cycle? And if not, and I go ahead and stick the cartridge in, can I just never replace it and use it until it basically falls apart? I understand that the carbon is only needed to eliminate fish meds. And I know that throwing away a filter is bad, in that I'm throwing out all the good bacteria I hopefully soon will be growing. Basically I'm asking if I need to purchase another form of media from the petshop or if I can just roll with the carbon cartridge.

The carbon won't effect the cycle in any way. If you want you can cut the carbon out of the cartridge them you don't have to worry about it. You can also make your own cartridge out of the frame and some sponge. It will last longer and won't clog as fast as the normal cartridge.

I like the idea of adding sponge to the existing cartridge. Not sure about building a brand new one, seems like the cartridge is a specialized shape, not sure if I'm that talented. But yea just wanted one last vote on the carbon thing, I've read (possibly on this forum) that carbon can eliminate things that help the cycle, but I doubt even if that's true that it will have much of an impact. And thanks for the advice on the fish Angel, I still have some time to mull over my options as I cycle my tank, plant life advice is more needed actually as I read I can add them right away. I'm using the led light bar that came with the marineland 10 gallon biowheel kit.

Ok cool, always helps to visualize things, hopefully petsmart will have the things I need. Planning on utilizing online shops as well for harder to get plants and fish

Ok so I just bought a bag of Carib sea black sand, an API master test kit, one small decoration, extra water conditioner, and two green cabomba plants. They didn't carry the ammonia, so I'm somewhere else looking for it. Wondering how I should proceed from here, with or without the ammonia.

Will ammonia hydroxide with surfactant work?

Attachments

• image-28469649.jpg
    image-28469649.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 41
Nope. It has to be without surfactant.
Usually people have had good luck getting pure ammonia from Home Depot.

Well crap, guess wont be starting a cycle tonight. Would it still I'm to just set up the plants I bought after conditioning the water?

Sorry, I think you left out a word there so I am not sure exactly what you are asking. If you are asking if the plants will still be fine to go in the tank, the answer is yes.

Ha, yea sorry, I think my iPhone changed "be fine" to "I'm". Also not sure what I was thinking but I only bought 5 pounds of the Tahitian black moon sand. Think I will just add the sand to the rear of the tank so I can settle the plants there. Any experience with green cabomba? Tips?

ZackReed said:
Ok so I just bought a bag of Carib sea black sand, an API master test kit, one small decoration, extra water conditioner, and two green cabomba plants. They didn't carry the ammonia, so I'm somewhere else looking for it. Wondering how I should proceed from here, with or without the ammonia.

You have to have amm to start the cycling. What dechlorinator did u buy?

boadams87 said:
Is that a normal kitchen sponge? How'd it stay attached?

There is a lip around the outside of the frame. I cut the sponge slightly larger and it just sits in there. You can super glue them in or use a rubber band to hold them in place. It is replacement sponge for something or another I got at my LFS. I wouldn't use kitchen sponge. Some of them contain antibacterial properties and that would inhibit the nitrifying bacterial growth. In some other filters I use cut up car wash sponges.

Mumma.of.two said:
There is a lip around the outside of the frame. I cut the sponge slightly larger and it just sits in there. You can super glue them in or use a rubber band to hold them in place. It is replacement sponge for something or another I got at my LFS. I wouldn't use kitchen sponge. Some of them contain antibacterial properties and that would inhibit the nitrifying bacterial growth. In some other filters I use cut up car wash sponges.

That's what i was thinkin about the kitchen sponge.

Ha, yea sorry, I think my iPhone changed "be fine" to "I'm". Also not sure what I was thinking but I only bought 5 pounds of the Tahitian black moon sand. Think I will just add the sand to the rear of the tank so I can settle the plants there. Any experience with green cabomba? Tips?
Ok, I was guessing something like that happened. :)
The plants and sand are fine to set up even if you have the ammo to start the cycle. :)
Just a note, once its all in the tank, be sure to stir that sand around a bit every so often. I have heard stories of it compacting around plants roots after awhile.
I have not grown that plant personally, so I don't have any tips for you, but it looks really cool, so I hope it grows well for you. :)

Ok well heres a pic of what I've got going on so far. There's lots of little floaties in there from the cabombas, should I try and net them out? Also need to top off my water, I removed some before I added the sand, cave, and plants. The water is a little cloudy but I did put the sand in only an hour ago, it did come with a bio magnet clarifier, it that cool to use?

Attachments

• image-906433631.jpg
    image-906433631.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 51
boadams87 said:
That's what u was thinkin about the kitchen sponge.

Great minds.... Lol

ZackReed said:
Ok well heres a pic of what I've got going on so far. There's lots of little floaties in there from the cabombas, should I try and net them out? Also need to top off my water, I removed some before I added the sand, cave, and plants. The water is a little cloudy but I did put the sand in only an hour ago, it did come with a bio magnet clarifier, it that cool to use?

The clarifiers fine to use if you want.

Ok I stopped by Walgreens just on a whim to check out their ammonia selection. It's called " clear ammonia" and its only listed ingredient is ammonia hydroxide, it says I'd does not contain phosphorous and does not mention silicant. Is this the real deal?

Back
Top Bottom