Visit to lfs, left confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Like the title said, I went to the old mom and pop store that I first started going to around 12 years ago. I ran into the actual owner for the first time in a very long time. We got talking, (of course we were excited to see each other) I (being me) broke out the pictures of my first tank to show her how much the fish have grown. I purchased the majority of them from her. It was her next comment that threw me, she said my tank is severely UNDER stocked. I didn't know that could be a terrible thing? So now I'm left wondering if I should be looking for more fish for it and if so, with the fish I currently have how will I find what could be compatible?? Heres some back ground on my tank in question. It's a 65 gallon tall, running two whispers 60's it homes two rosaline sharks, an albino rainbow shark, a red tailed shark, a dragon fish, a syno cat, a blood parrot, an albino butterfly algae eater, a royal pleco, a clown pleco and an assortment of snails. I'm lost as to what would work in there, tetras or anything small will get eaten, theres already many bottom dwellers, and I'm really not sure..?? Anyone have any ideas? Or should I just let the comment slide? I really respect her experience, thats why I'm questioning my set up now. She said my tank looks empty and by adding more it will make the original fish healthier and happier. Any feedback would be appreciated thank you.

Un true you'd tank is fine being understocked actually better and I say you have a great amount of fish that are just fine I also don't think you should put anything eles in there

Tanks can be under stocked like my developing African cichlid tank is I think it is to balance out aggressiveness but I don't know too much about under stocking.

This is why I'm confused.. The fish I have have only showed a bit of aggression between two fish only, the red tail and albino sharks. I put a divider in for a couple days then removed it, rearranged the tank and they've been fine. Other than that one little incident there hasn't been any issues.

Some of the people that have been in this hobby for a long time get stuck in the "old school" ways and don't pay much attention to newer information and research. So, maybe she is one of those?

so her argument that my fish would be happier with more tank mates, is a matter of her opinion only? Not based on actual fact that I may not have heard until now? I know what over stocking can produce, but is there negatives to being understocked?

I wouldn't add anything if you are happy with your stock.

IMO, being understocked is a great thing.

+1

I don't think you're understocked at all, and I can't believe you got a few sharks living together.

edit:

so her argument that my fish would be happier with more tank mates, is a matter of her opinion only? Not based on actual fact that I may not have heard until now? I know what over stocking can produce, but is there negatives to being understocked?

Yup its only her opinion. IMO there is no such thing as to being understocked, so there are no negatives. The benefits (water quality and health of fish) from an understocked tank greatly outweighs the benefits of an overstocked tank.

The sharks are awesome! They've been together for almost two years now, and as i said before we've only had one "dispute" between the red and albino. Which seems to have been settled now that I changed the tank up a bit. So, I'm thinking even if she thinks its understocked unless I see a negative impact within this community of fish, I should just leave them be? Agree? Or disagree?

I wouldn't buy from there anymore unless you have to or want to...it doesn't sound like she did that to help you. I think if you believe your fish are happy and healthy don't add anymore to make them "more healthier". Right? I know i don't know her personally or the tone of voice..but in my opinion if i heard that from someone it would sound like they were trying to get me to buy more from them. If you already have alot of bottom feeders you're probably stalked. She's probably thinking of the empty top space? Think about the bio-load in your tank too before u decide what u want to do.

smileyface9 said:
I wouldn't buy from there anymore unless you have to or want to...it doesn't sound like she did that to help you. I think if you believe your fish are happy and healthy don't add anymore to make them "more healthier". Right? I know i don't know her personally or the tone of voice..but in my opinion if i heard that from someone it would sound like they were trying to get me to buy more from them. If you already have alot of bottom feeders you're probably stalked. She's probably thinking of the empty top space? Think about the bio-load in your tank too before u decide what u want to do.

I don't think I would go as far as stop buying from there, it's not that big of a deal to completely stop buying. But I do agree with you about her trying to rake up some more sales by saying it's understocked.

Thats why I was confused, I worked really hard finding the best fish for the tank, planned it perfectly (or so I thought) added them in increments so the tank adjusted properly for each of them. Kept track of mature size, swim patterns, waste and consumption and watch all my test results. I was so messed by her comment because to me, this tank has been fully stocked for two years now. I've had zero in fluctuations in any of my tests for those two years as well. To me that says everything is running properly. So when she said I could be hurting them by not being fully stocked it confused me. I only want the best fir my fish, so I thought I'd run it past you all to see if there is in fact more to what she has recommended?

+1

Yup its only her opinion. IMO there is no such thing as to being understocked, so there are no negatives. The benefits (water quality and health of fish) from an understocked tank greatly outweighs the benefits of an overstocked tank.

Thank you, thats what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being closed minded and therefore neglectful.

thanks everyone! I feel much better and unless theres a new study out there, I will be leaving my tank as is with who is in there now :)

Mlani said:
Thats why I was confused, I worked really hard finding the best fish for the tank, planned it perfectly (or so I thought) added them in increments so the tank adjusted properly for each of them. Kept track of mature size, swim patterns, waste and consumption and watch all my test results. I was so messed by her comment because to me, this tank has been fully stocked for two years now. I've had zero in fluctuations in any of my tests for those two years as well. To me that says everything is running properly. So when she said I could be hurting them by not being fully stocked it confused me. I only want the best fir my fish, so I thought I'd run it past you all to see if there is in fact more to what she has recommended?

I don't believe you're hurting them at all. If they lived 2 years your great! I buy from chain stores since I don't know any local fish stores that aren't chain stores :/ and i'm very careful with what fish i buy and how i feed them.. I haven't had one of my fish live more than a year besides goldfish as a kid living at least 5 and then my platy lived a long happy life and supprised me with 3 healthy babies..(i was new to it in 7th grade lol).

Mlani said:
thanks everyone! I feel much better and unless theres a new study out there, I will be leaving my tank as is with who is in there now :)

I would too! :) ..but if you actually want new fish who are friendly I suggest blood parrot cichlids. I have some and they're very friendly and happy! Still just young ones. Not their full color yet.

Its a good thing that you are understocked better than being overstocked just means for swimming space for your fish.

I think she means is that you can add more fish and have more fun watching a bigger variety of fish! But its up to you .

In my opinion, this tank is poorly stocked and overstocked..... I don't agree with this woman at all.

In my opinion, this tank is poorly stocked and overstocked..... I don't agree with this woman at all.

You always tanks are overstocked. This person is having no problem and everyone else thinks it is fine

So why is it overstocked because on all of my threads you say the tanks are overstocked!

Back
Top Bottom