Visitor Messages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of the new features to AA is "Visitor Messages" located in your Profile. Messages posted in Visitor Messages are open to the public. They are not Private Messages to the member. I just wanted to clarify so members did not post personal information that they did not want seen by the public.

As long as we're talking about the "social networking" features of the new site, what exactly happens when one becomes someone's "friend"? I've looked around and can't find an explanation of that feature.

Glad you made the announcement about the "Visitor Messages" as I've seen a few and thought, "Hmm... I wonder if they don't realize anyone with an internet connection can see this!" What exactly is the purpose of "Visitor Messages" anyway? I'm trying to see a use for this, versus using the PM system, but just can't come up with it.

As far as I can tell, the Social Networking feature shows up on the main forum which ones are online. It makes it easier to PM them or just to know when they are online. I haven't seen an official announcement of the feature, but that's as far as I can tell.

That's exactly why I made the annoucnement Kurt. I saw someone's Visitor Message and wondered if they knew the entire forum could see their message. :) I'm assuming that it would be a nice feature to have to say something like "Your tanks look fantastic!" or maybe "Excellent seller!" Kind of a public feedback for the person. Again, just a guess though. :)

Another new feature that vBulletin natives will recognize is Reputation. Click the little scales below the avatar to award those who give you good advice. The square below their post count will turn green as their reputation grows. Clicking the scales below your own avatar will tell you how many points you have. This also helps those of us who need advice to know who is giving better advice in general, however be aware that low reputation may simply mean a newly registered user.

Back
Top Bottom