Vodka dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvbugg654

Aquarium Advice Regular
As anyone ever heard or tried lowering nitrates and phos with the vodka dosing method? My tank has only been up since Jan/Feb and I can NEVER seem to get my nitrates lower than 40 even with huge water changes. I've got a 55 gallon with 15 gallon sump with 2 clowns and a coral beauty whom all seem fine. I mean my nitrate swill be around 60-80! Also starting a cyano war go figure. Everyone I tell about My water changes told me I was doing to much so I backed off to 10 gallons every 2 weeks.

When my milk crate staging for LR was leaching phosphates I did regular vodka dosing during a 5 month stretch. Definitely helped.

I started last week. I have talked to people who have dropped nitrates from 80 to 2 with vodka.

Even with a relatively new tank you think it's safe? Mine is around 3 or 4 months old

I've been doing vodka for about 6 months now. No signs of problems lowered my nitrate from 80 to 2. Just make sure if you decide to do it you follow the directions.

i have actually been doing some research on this subject and seems people are having better luck or less problems like cyano outbreaks etc.. by dosing vinegar you do it the same way just x8 because its weaker than vodka. I started 2 days ago.

Randy Holmes-Farley who writes most of the stuff for reefkeeping.com. I have been chatting with him on another form and he actually doses vinegar instead of vodka now

I am using Instant Ocean's natural nitrate reducer, which uses suspended carbs (much like the vodka method) to lower nitrates. I chose this because it is made for aquariums and has a big brand backing it.

It works. I used to constantly have 10-20 nitrates and now I stay at about 2.

I prefer the good old natural ways of nitrate reduction . Algae turf scrubber . It's been almost two weeks since I installed mine and I'm seeing good results so far.

Back
Top Bottom