Waiting for them to die....Mystery snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsyqueen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Call me a big bad meanie....but I'm sick of looking at these snails. I love them, and I would never do anything to harm them, but I'm really anxious to get my tank some plants. I can't get any good plants, till I get rid of the snails. I've had them for about nine months or so, so I know there time is running out, maybe. I'm not quite financially secure enough to get another tank to mess with plants in....so I have to wait! :((
Gyp

Unfortunately, other than having nature take care of them (some fish see them as a tasty snack), there really isn't a really good humane way of ridding yourself of them.

Ironically, depending on what plants you may get and how your supplier handles them, you may get more hitchhiking on them (ie. Java ferns/moss).

Are they MTS snails or Mystery Snails (aka Apple Snails)? If they are the Apple Snails, all you have to do it take them out, bag 'em up and take them to the lfs. If they are MTS snails, there are fish that love to eat them.

Mine were sold as mystery snails
didn't know a pet store would take something like that back! hmmmmm
Thanks
Gyp

Yes they should take them back just like any other fish. I'm not sure if a chain store does (aka Wal-Mart, Petsmart, Petco) but I know little ma and pop places should.

Mystery snails and Apple snails are different specises, are they not? Apples can get quite large...in excess of three inches while Mystery snails generally get about 1.5 to 2 inches. Or so I thought.

I agree...ask the lfs wants them. I guess you could take it to Walmart next time your there and drop him in a tank when noones looking :lol:

If they are a Pomacea ssp. apple/mystery snail, 3-4 years is far from unheard of as a lifespan (and 5 has been reported)....I suggest you either give them away or learn to love them.

My gold mystery snail lost his place in my planted tank. He just decimated the plants too quickly. He has since taken his home in a smaller tank with Guppy Fry. I throw him my prunings from the planted tank. :D He loves Swords and Hornwort!

hmmmmmm.....what's the smallest tank size for them? Do they need one inch per gallon, or no?

youronlysin said:
My gold mystery snail lost his place in my planted tank. He just decimated the plants too quickly.

So you likely had a Pomacea ssp., but not a Pomacea bridgesii, which will not eat plants.

youronlysin said:
Mystery snails and Apple snails are different specises, are they not? Apples can get quite large...in excess of three inches while Mystery snails generally get about 1.5 to 2 inches. Or so I thought.

Yes and no....'Mystery snail' can refer to a number of apple snail species, but is usually used to refer to Pomacea bridgesii, which grow to only about 1½" diameter. The really big guys are Pomacea gigas/maculata...related, but different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom