walmart makes me mad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i went to walmart today to get some locks and i went over to the fish and a puffer was being eating, a puffer had its tail bit off there were many dead fish but this was the worst.
5837640933_25c1abf39e.jpg

the poor thing could barely swim and is missing fins.

I went to Walmart and I saw a Puffer with no fins, and one of his eyeballs were missing, and he was just fidgeting, still alive.

they really shouldnt be able to have fish! and this walmart its 5 minutes away from a fish store! so why cant people just buy there instead?

Maybe we should start reporting these stores to the appropriate animal welfare groups.

Also, the issue isn't that people such as us enthusiasts who get on a forum buy from those stores, it is the mums (moms) and dads who don't know any better. Unfortunately all we can do to get word out about that is talk to our friends and family and hope that they can help educate their friends and family.

they aren't breaking any laws, and the animal welfare people don't typically waste their time on fish.

The only real solution is to openly boycott it. If you can't boycott walmart, completely, at least boycott their fish department. Send letters to their execs, inform everyone you know to do the same.

The good news is that many of the fish displays have been downsized or removed completely in the past year or so.

they aren't breaking any laws, and the animal welfare people don't typically waste their time on fish.

Guess it must be a bit different here in Oz... Generally the animal welfare people will worry about companys doing bad, they won't bat an eyelid at a person mis-treating a fish though, and I think the laws here would cover it for cruelty to animals, might just be a slap on the wrist, but would bring it to the execs attention at least.

fish don't fall under the same category as things like dogs and cats. That's why we can legally ship them in the mail in little boxes rather than using special freight services and pet carriers etc.

lucky here, the "super" wal-mart doesn't carry fish but the smaller one does, but they at least have someone in that section all the time..in fact I broke one of my rules and bought 5 ottos from them even hearing they were delicate fish, all 5 are happy 3 weeks later and now happily swimming around my 125g tank.

The Walmarts that do carry fish, only have a few (12 or so) small overcrowded tanks, but every store is different.
And it's true that there isn't anyone to report the abuses to. If changes are to be made, it has to start with us.
The only fish that have any protection in any way are those that are in the wild. Once they become part of the kept fish breeds, they loose the protection.

I've bought fish from Walmart and couldnt be any happier they let me catch my own fish. You hear these stories about Petco's, Petsmarts, Pets at home or what ever the English have. The point is some are good and some are not, as educated consumer use your money where you feel comfortable. And if your that passionate then do something about it instead of writing a post on a Internet forum.

a 15 year old can barely do anything about this. i would if i could.

Come on what was Whintny Houston singing about then "the children are our future" light them on fire and let them lead way or something like that without the burning children. So maybe your the start this new revoluntion.

allaboutfish, im with you on this one, I've got some horrid pics of the fish tanks at my walmart...your best option is to openly and verbally boycott it.. simply pass the word around and keep it going.. ohh and I once heard someone on here say " a yelled whisper is always welcome" if you see someone looking at the fish, just offer them some advispce and tell them of the aquatic store nearby... remember every lil part helps

Things are a little tougher to change when your young but not impossible. If you write a letter to the company execs. they don't have a clue how old you are unless you tell them.
And they won't know your age by what you write. Each of you are very bright and articulate when you are writing on AA, about the fish you love.
Don't let their titles intimidate you. Chance are you know more about fish than any of them.

then i will do that. maybe that could be all it takes for them to give up fish.

Don't get discouraged if one letter doesn't do it. It usually takes several loud letters from different people (age unimportant). But never let that stop you from using your voice. When you add your voice to all the others, it's a very powerful thing

is this good?
your store in covington tn is horrible, and is obliterating innocent lives. I'm sure your soon to shove this message out of your mind and delete it forever, and i think that it is truly unfair and unjust for you to do. Fish are not some lower life form that deserves to die, and for walmart to own these animals is a crime, and should be addressed as one. i saw several deceased fish at your establishment, and many dieing. Why not just give up fish? Leave it to the experts to keep and sell fish. you'll save money in the long run anyway. I'll also be writing this company's executives, and I hope no i expect fish removed from the shelves or for fish to have better conditions. these better conditions include all of the following; testing water every day with a LIQUID test kit, changing the water when results are ammonia-higher then 0.25> nitrites-0> and or nitrates-20>, this also means cycling the tanks whether fishless or fish in, and lastly an employee should always be in the fish section there are MANY people that care about fish enough to come in once a day to test the water and do water changes so there is NO reason no to seek these requirements. fish are not some object that can be replaced they're living creatures and should be addressed just as a dog or cat would.
thanks,
johnathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom