WalMart - What Can I Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to my local WalMart this afternoon and was appalled when I walked down the fish isle. Aside from the usual dead fish in almost every tank, there were quite a few other issues that really bothered me. My blood is still boiling over what I saw.

In one tank they had male Betta fish in with fancy (very colorful) Guppies and in another tank they a male Betta in with Gouramis. Needless to say the Bettas were basically running around enforcing their territories with the other fish. One poor Gourami was backed up into the far right corner of the tank until the Betta headed off to chase another Gourami. There were more dead fish in these two tanks than any other. I'm assuming the Bettas and the stress levels were to blame.

In other tanks there were dead fish that seemed to have grown fur. It was disgusting to see what looked almost like cotton balls floating at the surface. What's worst (for me anyway) is seeing other fish devouring the dead fish's bodies.

Another problem which I originally found last week was still there. They have Black Tip Sharks (I think that's what they're called) and one of them was stuck inside part of the filter intake - this was last week. For kicks I checked again today and it's either the same shark that's still stuck or it's a coincidence that another had gotten stuck. With tanks like this it makes me wonder who in their right minds would purchase fish from them.

Anyway, my point to this thread isn't to bash WalMart because I know that this isn't a pet store and that they don't specialize in the care of pets. My point is that I really want to do something. I want to write to someone about the conditions in this store. I just can't sit back and let these poor fish live in such poor conditions. It's a sickening feeling to see it and to not be able to rescue all of them. So, my question is how do I go about doing something and will it really help?

Take photographs of the conditions and contact your local animal control officer. I can't promise it will do any good, but it is worth a try.

Also, speak with the store manager and let him/her know that you are concerned and are going to contact the animal control officer in their area if they do not take care of their animals properly.

If you decide to do the feedback, let us know the results. As for my results, it is better, but not to my expectations. But progress is still being made, as they are still doing training for their employees. The tanks are definitely looking better, and their acclimation appears to be more realistic, and not leaving the bag in 24 hours. So things are getting better.

you can go to walmart.com and file a complaint, i forget where on the site iti s, but i did it just the other day over the small amount of fishproducts they carry in the new super center compared to what they had in the store in the mall thats right next door. I also called the new store and expressed my concern over the fish in the tanks, the night manager wasn't even aware of the situation and was appalled at what I had to say. Now wetehr this was true or an act I don't know. He did claim he spent most of his time working on the electronics and jewelry sections though. I gavea few suggestions on how to treat the tanksa lil better and about a few products they need to bring back. He suggested I should apply full time for the pets department only, so I did and he was ipressed with my resume', hopefully i will get this job, i would love to work there. I don't think it was black tipped sharks you saw, those are saltwater i beleiver, it was prolly bala sharks. But if you do file a complaint on the site or to the store directly, keep doing it repeatilvy and have your family and friends do it also. the more they hear about it the faster they will do something about it, it does work, just takes time and effort. so ring that phone off the hook and blow up there computers with emails and complaints, eventully they will get the message and might fix the problem, hope you haveaas good as luck as i have so far, lata

tropicfishman said:
you can go to walmart.com and file a complaint, i forget where on the site iti s, but i did it just the other day over the small amount of fishproducts they carry in the new super center compared to what they had in the store in the mall thats right next door. I also called the new store and expressed my concern over the fish in the tanks, the night manager wasn't even aware of the situation and was appalled at what I had to say. Now wetehr this was true or an act I don't know. He did claim he spent most of his time working on the electronics and jewelry sections though. I gavea few suggestions on how to treat the tanksa lil better and about a few products they need to bring back. He suggested I should apply full time for the pets department only, so I did and he was ipressed with my resume', hopefully i will get this job, i would love to work there. I don't think it was black tipped sharks you saw, those are saltwater i beleiver, it was prolly bala sharks. But if you do file a complaint on the site or to the store directly, keep doing it repeatilvy and have your family and friends do it also. the more they hear about it the faster they will do something about it, it does work, just takes time and effort. so ring that phone off the hook and blow up there computers with emails and complaints, eventully they will get the message and might fix the problem, hope you haveaas good as luck as i have so far, lata

I don't think you would have to go that far. I just sent the online feedback, and it was directed to the district manager, which called me. Then shortly thereafter, the store manager called. Then I had a meeting with the Asst. Manager. What will get things done is being Professional, and not someone who repeatedly complains and is being a pain in the butt. I did no complaining, no tons of phone calls, etc, and got quite a response. And it all depends on the person on the other end. And aparently the people here do care, at least to a large degree. And with being Professional, results are in the progress. :)

If you do decide to do the form, be Polite, Professional, and show your interest and care for the hobby you love. And you should get results right from the start. (y)

http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=221

IMO, nothing can be done regarding this issue:(.....
People don't care about fish as much as they do about other pets like cats or dogs or even rats and rabbits..:(

I don't think you would have to go that far. I just sent the online feedback, and it was directed to the district manager, which called me. Then shortly thereafter, the store manager called. Then I had a meeting with the Asst. Manager. What will get things done is being Professional, and not someone who repeatedly complains and is being a pain in the butt. I did no complaining, no tons of phone calls, etc, and got quite a response. And it all depends on the person on the other end. And aparently the people here do care, at least to a large degree. And with being Professional, results are in the progress. :)

If you do decide to do the form, be Polite, Professional, and show your interest and care for the hobby you love. And you should get results right from the start. (y)

http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=221[/quote]

Did you get results? It seems like Wal Mart hasn't changed at all - and as long as they make a profit selling fish products you can be as polite and professional as you want and they are not going to do a thing. Face it, some animals are pets and you can't touch a hair on their heads (i.e. cats, dogs, horses), and some are not (cows, fish, chicken) and no amount of talking to assistant managers is going to change that.

I got results at our store here. I highly doubt it would affect all Walmarts. But th Walmart here has made some changes.

Look, if you post the way lone wolf says, you are telling corporate taht a store is wasting money.. and worse, wasting the opportunity to make sales by keeping a terrible pet department.

Walmart IS a pet store as long as they choose to sell pets, therefore they care about profit. BY telling the corporate office, you are putting your local store on the spot. I am not surprised Lone Wolf got results adn I'd think you can too, especially if you do this factually and dispassionately.

After all, how many fish do they expect to sell from tanks full of dead/stressed fish.

sherry said:
After all, how many fish do they expect to sell from tanks full of dead/stressed fish.

Plenty, no one that knows what a healthy fish looks like is shopping there anyway. Plus they make their money on the supplies too, and they sell a ton.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I I'll be spending my afternoon tomorrow making some phonecalls! I know that my voice alone may not make a difference, but it's better than just sitting back without doing anything!

tropicfishman said:
I don't think it was black tipped sharks you saw, those are saltwater i beleiver, it was prolly bala sharks.
It's definitely not a Bala Shark. I know exactly what those guys look like! :) This one looks pretty much identical to this http://www.planetcatfish.com/images/full/ariidae/hexanematichthys/seemanni/1.jpg but if I remember correctly all of the fin tips were black. Also, according to the label on the shelf they only grow to be 6" (which is probably false).

Take pictures and contact animal society or something like that.

There was this pet store that would have random animals, but I saw their reptile section and saw reptiles that were basically rotting but still alive, eyes sunken in, flies and maggots everywhere, and of course dead ones. I came back to take a picture and showed the officer. I went back some time later and they were shut down.

Now this wont shut down walmart, but it might stop them from selling fish.

My recommendation, whether it's Walmart or any other store, do as I did. Just bring it up with higher ups, and be honest. And if they don't do anything, just move on and get your fish from somewhere else. But it doesn't hurt to try. Look what happened to me. I expected nothing to happen, but I was wrong. I got results. And with meeting their management here, they are good people. That's the other thing. If good people are involved, you will get results. If they aren't good people and don't care, just move on and go somewhere else. Don't be a butt about it, just be honest and professional, and express your concerns. That's all it takes. (y)

I think if dead fish = less fish being sold = less money, then yes walmart cares a lot about there fish... doing things like acclimating properly, stocking compatible fish together, and just gerneral cleanlyness is free, it cost walmart nothing and in return they make a better return, and have a nicer looking pet department. try to get walmart to spend money to better the conditions... never happen. So when you present your complaint and your suggestions, just make sure you mention the fact that they are actually "Killing profit" when they treat there fish poorly.

just a thought, good luck, I truely hope they make changes, either change the current practices, or to quit carrying fish (the best option in my opinion). selling sick and dying fish to people buying a first time aquarium, and having no one to give proper care instructions is really bad for the hobby. it just scares people off because there first tank BOMBS.

Takes some photos (no flash so as not to make a scene and get tossed out) and send them to the corprate addess AND the store manager. Nothing will probably be done about it anyway though. The store in Fishkill,N.Y. sucks as well. Ironic isn't it? I've posted that story before here I'm sure...

Tom

OMFG! You guys aren't kidding about the things said about Wal*Mart.

I went into the Wal*Mart in Lougheed Town Centre in British Columbia yesterday and saw about 6 floaters, and every tank either has written on them "Not for sale due to illness" or they were freshly stocked saying "For sale this Saturday" which at the time was yesterday.

How sad!

I would not send an email. I would call both the 800 and while at the store ask for the store manager not the pets manager and i would also let them know that you plan on calling headquarters weekly until the problem is solved.

i saw my local wal-mart fish and it wasn't too bad. definetely wasn't anything special though.

only thing that got me is that they had those irridescent sharks i've been talking about, falsely advertised on the size.

Back
Top Bottom