walter's 58 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muse12

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, my name is Walter, and this is the story of my tank!

My tank formerly belonged to a 9 year old, which is why it was in such horrible shape. We recieved a phone call one day from the previous owners, saying that they were moving to texas and were offering us their tank. The next day, we moved the whole enchillada. Rocks, water, tank, stand, fish, sand, EVERYTHING to our house. At the time, the sand was not really sand, it was basically detritus. The nitrates were over 60, and the two 90 watt flourescent VHOs didnt work, leaving us with a 400 watt metal halide to leave on for long periods of time, which was not helpful towards the temperature.

The inhabitants of the tank were:
1 yellow tang
1 percula clown
1 tomatoe clown
1 bar goby
1 orange spot goby
hermits
snails

various shrimp including peppermint and camel

lots of very large bristle worms, due to massive over feeding

"The Adventure Begins"

The first night we had the tank completely set-up, the orange spot goby leaped out of the tank. Now we were down to 4 fish.

At that time, we didn't have much knowlege about anything relating to saltwater fish or keeping them, so many a time did a very helpful lfs owner come to the rescue.

The tank inhabitants now are:
1 yellow tang
1 percula clown
1 tomato clown
1 bar goby
1 flasher wrasse
1 fridmani pseudochromis
1 cleaner shrimp
2 clams
lots of corals

Since then, we have stabalized the tank, and added lots of creatures.
Here are some pictures that I have taken. Hope you enjoy!

Full Tank Shot...
(the toadstool is shedding for the 3rd time since we got it a month and a half ago)
fish%20012.jpg

looking through the derasa...
fish%20004.jpg

the tang is in love with her reflection...
fish%20009.jpg

and more photos to come when I have more time!

Wow, Looks great! Nice job. One question, how do the clowns do together. I heard mixing different species was not a good idea? They have obviously co-habitated for some time.

I have been tempted to do it in the past, but was advised against it.

Good luck,

yeah, we were actually thinking about getting rid of the tomato clown, but he is not causing much trouble any more. I think that the fish adapt, because when we got the wrasse, everybody picked on him, but now he almost never gets picked on.

that tank is really sweet!!!!!!!! great job!

oh and a CBS might help take care of the bristle worms

Coral Banded Shrimp....

BTW I would not move the tomato if it is doing well. You are doing a great job keep it up. I am envious :wink:

Oh . . . I was actually looking into buying one at my last trip to the fish store, but decided to go with some montipora frags instead (im a sucker for frags hehe).

Yeah, we have a 400 watt halide + 2*90 watt flourescents which equals 580 watts. 580 divided by 58 gallons, equals 10 watts per gallon.

yeah the tomato will most likely stay, because the fish that we currently have don't really seem to have problems with him.

here are some more pictures...

The mid section of the tank. (notice the toadstool is shedding again)
fish%20008.jpg

looking forward from the left side...
fish%20010.jpg

For the camera, I am using a Cannon Powershot A80

Did you mean set up of the camera, or the tank?
oh well, I will just tell you both...
:D

For the camera, I am using no flash, and I am using the "Fast Moving Objects" function in macro mode, usually with about 3x digital zoom.

The tank has a an over-flow which feeds to a sump where the water passes through a sort of pad, and down through some crushed up rock, into the skimmer (which I have been told is really big for our tank) and back up into the tank.

Thanks for the compliments!

Back
Top Bottom