Want to add more barbs ? problem ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all

I have 6 barbs in my 29 gallon - I started with 8 but 2 died.
I am going to add a rainbow shark this weekend .I was also thinking about replacing the 2 barbs that died.

I was thinking of getting 2 green or some other variety of barb. My research says they school with tiger barbs.
Now question is will the 6 existing ones get along with the 2 new ones? or is it not a wise idea ?

TIA
Swanand

I tried to add green barbs to my tiger barb collection and found in my research that green barbs are actually tiger barbs, just a different........well.......i guess race. So I expected them to get along fine, but I've had bad luck recently trying to introduce new fish to my tank and all 3 of them died w/in 48 hrs. But it should work.

Green barb ARE tiger barbs that have been artificial made that way from my understanding. I just recently added 3 new barbs to my tank so that I'd have 7 tiger barbs. So far it's been a month with no problems.

i have a rainbow shark that seems to hate barbs...i have two ruby barbs along with it in 10g...but in a larger space like what u have may be ok with the shark, as they really tend to get aggresive and territirial with age...i would recommend adding the barbs first and then going for the shark...this gives the barbs more time to acclimatise themselves without a cranky shark lurking nearby...

Back
Top Bottom