Want to buy an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paparam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Newbie here. Have an interest in getting into establishing a first ever community freshwater aquarium. Am debating whether to get a new tank from any of the vendors here or used from Marketplace. I saw someone advertising for this 90 gallon tank and
I am told "Tank is 1 1/2 yrs old. Never has sat dried. No leaks. 52” long 55” tall. 1050 pounds (full)"
What is attractive to me is
1) the price (500 but will try negotiate better)
2) stand is included
What worries me is:
1) Is it more likely to leak if it was not used/stored in best manner compared to a new tank
2) Is maintenance more difficult given how tall it is?

Would appreciate any thoughts and observations.:thanks:

Attachments

• aqua 90 gal for 500.jpg
    aqua 90 gal for 500.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 20
  • aqua 90 gal_2 for 500.jpg
    aqua 90 gal_2 for 500.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 18
  • aqua 90 gal_3for 500.jpg
    aqua 90 gal_3for 500.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
As a fellow newbie, and a typical newbie, I face the same questions.

Do not take the below as “advice” — I’m not experienced enough — but let me know what you think of this approach I am taking — and let’s see what successful fish keepers think of it:

I’VE learned to start with a tank that will not burden me or bore me or create an easy-fail first protect., or a tank and lifeforms I do not have the time or discipline or experience to sustain in a healthy way.

I’m doing the opposite — picked only a size of tank I can handle — then, I decided what type of fish, and look of fish that interests me highly — NOW I’m not buying fish yet, but focusing on equipping the tank with the systems needed for that general type of fish.

(BUT, because I do want a fish now, I’m getting one tiny betta fish and betta bowl that I can take care of. I can introduce it later into a fully functioning tank.)

I will get my knowledge and systems working. Getting all items in my filtration configuration purchased, Then get them up and running with water, and replacement water.

I’ll get my temperature controls in place and working, then tested daily, so I can successfully raise or lower the temperature to keep it within range for a time — maybe a week for me — before my live fish arrive.

I would like my plant and substrate choices designed, purchased, and in place so as I install it into my tank, while I get water conditioned and into the tank — maybe in stages, to make planting and redesign easier.

And (this is the way I do my non-fish gig) I will have a written plan and semi-daily and daily schedule I need to maintain, including taking temperatures, noting all adjustments made to temp control, notes and follow up temps. plus I’ll need my feeding and maintenance schedule defined. Successful plans need to change, and they need to be documented so know what you did and what you charged to make it work.

Then and only then will I place my order for live fish.

I’d like to like what you as a newbie think of this, and how the veteran (successful) fish keepers here might suggests I change this plan.

Cheers,

PK
Developer, Designer, Engineer and General Manager
L’Hotel UmbraQua NYC

Back
Top Bottom