want to change cc to dsb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msamsonz28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm seriously considering making the switch to a dsb. How much trouble is it to do this? My guess is this job would take approx 4-5 hours. My setup is a 55g with 75 lbs lr, maroon clown and yellow tang.
Here's my plan if I decide to go through with it:
1. buy a 50g trash can from hd and transfer water (lr goes in here)
2. put fish in 5g buckets
3. scoop out all the cc
4. add sand, rock and water
Now can I add the fish right away or should I circulate the tank for a bit?
Anyone have advice on how I should go about this?

Plan is pretty good. You will appreciate the LS over the CC, good move. Get a bunch of filter media bags from the LFS and put your CC substrate in them. Place these on top of the new sand to help seed the sand bed. It would also help to get some a few cups of LS from an exsisting reef tank to help seed the new stuff as well. Keep a close eye on water parameters for a couple of weeks. This could trigger a mini-cycle. Just have some aged SW ready to go for a few water changes if need be. Good luck!

I want to do the same thing, but I figured that it would take all day. Update me on how the transition goes. I was going to wait until next summer, but there is no time like the present. I have heard that pantyhose can be used to hold cc to seed the new DSB, is that true? Is there any reason that the fish should be in 5 gal buckets as opposed to in with the LR?

Pantyhose also work great. You can chose to keep your fish in the tank, but you will have a major sand storm on your hands. Best to keep them in a seperate container until things settle. One more thing...When you remove all of the water from your tank, stop at the substrate. Any water left covering the substrate should be discarded. It is just all of the old foul water in the substrate. Incooperate a water change into the process and you will be just fine. Haus...there really is no time like the present. :lol:

Well I went to HD this am and bought 100lbs sand. it took me about an hour to change everthing out. I did like you said and stopped the water at the substrate. The hardest part was scooping cc and mopping up water. Right now my water looks like a bomb went off. I've got filter and powerheads running. The fish are in a 10g bucket waiting for their new home. Can't wait to see what it looks like. Hopefully tonight I can finish it up!!

I did something similar today. I put nylon screening over my CC then scooped the sand out of a bucket (after a thousand rinse cycles), and put it in the tank over the screening so it doesn't end up under the cc.

Does anyone know how having the lights on during cycling, affects the cycling process?

no pics of the process, sorry. i had planned on it but it went so fast and there really wasn't much to take pics of anyway. i take back my earlier statement about scooping out the cc as being the hardest part. the hardest part was carrying the sand up three flights of stairs. seriously it was easy and cheap. haus, if you're thinking about doing it, go for it. my only concern now is how my fish will like their temp home. i'm monitoring temps religiously and i have a 150gph ph in the bucket. fresh saltwater is ready just in case.
this is how the tank looks now after 4 hours. ugh! i can sorta see in about 4" now as compared to less than 2" a couple hours ago.

Attachments

• tank_065.jpg
    tank_065.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 38
My parents just offered me a 29 gal set up for free!!!! I think I will wait until I get that, then use that for a temp home for my salty critters while I do the change. I was thinking about using it for seahorses or a small reef. The research has already begon on both. I keep getting more and more tanks. I don't know what to do with them, or at least have the money to support what I want to do :wink:

Update - It's been 8 hours since I made the change. Water is still cloudy but now I can almost see to the back of the tank. Is it safe to put the fish back in? I would rather not leave them in the bucket overnight. Water para's check good. ammo 0, nitrates 15, nitrites 0, pH 8.0.

Wait as long as you can to make the change, you could do it right away but for less stress on fish wait a bit longer till most of the cloudiness has settled and then with low light transfer the fish back. I am guessing you have already the LR in the tank right?
Hope everything goes well!!

Tank is fairly clear now. It's just a little hazy. But now I wish I would have waited to put my rock back in because it is covered in sediment. I'll wait until the water is totally settled to make a decision but I think I might be scrubbing the rock pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom