Want to get into saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IHaveAquariums

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've thought about getting into saltwater now! I'd like to start with a nano (probably a 10g) and work from there. Preferably a reef setup :) so I know they need lots of flow so I was thinking a marineland penguin 350 would be good, a sun grow heater, and then a reef light from Amazon haven't looked into that yet but I've been watching YouTube videos about setting up nanos. I know very little about the chemistry of a saltwater like how do I prepare the water and mix it right and do water changes and what filter media works best for saltwater does it change from freshwater? If someone could give me a full rundown of all of this that'd be great thanks! And of course any input is greatly appreciated!

One you could check out (as well as post replies here) is on the AA website there is an articles section at the top and under that a sub-section on saltwater.

There's so much that goes into it. A full rundown is you putting hours-days of research.

I agree - there is a book ‘Idiots guide to SW’. Something like that. This was in our library and first time I read it, made no sense. Lots of new terms to learn.

Successful ones locally here (from people setting up that I work with) have found a good specialty shop (mom and pop style I guess).

I agree - there is a book ‘Idiots guide to SW’. Something like that. This was in our library and first time I read it, made no sense. Lots of new terms to learn.

Successful ones locally here (from people setting up that I work with) have found a good specialty shop (mom and pop style I guess).
Funnny... the shops around here will sell you a brick for $12 and call it "live rock". I suggest looking into to local reef clubs/forums.. shout out to Boston reefers! So many great members willing to help out.
Ps- I buy the bricks every now and then.. support local shops or we'll be at the mercy of internet sales and souless big box

Or look for deals on dry rock or ppl getting out of the hobby. But yeah reef clubs will hook you up if you can find a good one near your area

Funnny... the shops around here will sell you a brick for $12 and call it "live rock". I suggest looking into to local reef clubs/forums.. shout out to Boston reefers! So many great members willing to help out.
Ps- I buy the bricks every now and then.. support local shops or we'll be at the mercy of internet sales and souless big box

Not all rock is created equal, that’s for sure. I prefer very flat rocks for scaping, but there are also very porous bricks that are sold that are specifically designed for low oxygen areas to assist with nitrate reduction.

Back
Top Bottom