Want to redo my wisteria. Nervous.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traceyrollin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently learned from reading a few articles on water wisteria that you can place a single stalk on its side and weigh it down and it will carpet the tank. So I did that. I also had a single leaf floating around for a couple days after a pwc and it grew small roots so I just randomly stuck it in the rocks I have for sub and it started growing more leaves! Happy I am with the way it looks!
I am thinking I can cut up this one stalk and plant pieces of it to better start the carpet effect... But I don't know how to go about cutting it and how much is too much? Laying it on its side it just kinda curved upward... but the roots are headed straight down and don't touch the rocks yet. Should I just be patient and wait for it to plant itself instead of cutting it up? Should I tie it to a straw or something so it lays flat on the bottom?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I'm just going to risk it and cut it into sections tomorrow... see what happens. The tank still looks bare to me. So if I have to replace the plant no great loss. But I think I'll be happy with what I get.

I think I'm just going to risk it and cut it into sections tomorrow... see what happens. The tank still looks bare to me. So if I have to replace the plant no great loss. But I think I'll be happy with what I get.

I think you should be able to lay it on its side and it should take hold. Mine did it in its own and completely took over my tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks caliban07 I appreciate it. I'll just leave it alone for the time being then.

Ok today.. I have a java fern that has gotten too big for the 3 gallon. Time to move it over to the 10. But I have this other plant. Can't remember what it is... seems to grow fairly slow. Probably also ready for the 10g. But... what is it? And will it spread out more or get taller. Heck just someone tell me what it is and I'll Google it.. Sorry for the flash glare.

Attachments

• 1476236523044.jpg
    1476236523044.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 53
Ok today.. I have a java fern that has gotten too big for the 3 gallon. Time to move it over to the 10. But I have this other plant. Can't remember what it is... seems to grow fairly slow. Probably also ready for the 10g. But... what is it? And will it spread out more or get taller. Heck just someone tell me what it is and I'll Google it.. Sorry for the flash glare.

It's a type of Anubias if which there are many. You can snap the rhizome in places that still have a good few leaves attached. I think it's in need of splitting and you will find you will gain a fair amount of new plants from it that can be tied to a rock or some wood.

It's a type of Anubias if which there are many. You can snap the rhizome in places that still have a good few leaves attached. I think it's in need of splitting and you will find you will gain a fair amount of new plants from it that can be tied to a rock or some wood.

Yes I do agree that it probably should be split... hmm a type of anubias. Well now if I move it and split it that's going to upset the balance of plants in the 10g. And reduce cover for the tiny cory... he needs cover... Killer gives him heck. So I think I'll split it and let it stay in the 3g until I know i haven't killed it. Lol in the mean time it's pwc day so I'll move the java fern over today. And use the one plant to provide cover...just thinking out loud. Thank you! I'll figure it out from here!

20161014_223213.jpg finally got the plant separated... most of it is still alive. I dosed excel florish ferts right after and did it while in the middle of a 75% wc. Hope it all lives. Will look nice when it starts to grow again.

Looks good. I can't wait for my anubias to get big enough to split.

Ok so. My two apple snails in the 10g tank are getting bigger by the week. Gotta get them new homes as they have apparently had little baby snails. Great... but not great. I dont mind the babies as they cant eat plants yet. But the big obes are eating plants. So what should i do with them? Can i just give them to a friend? Or take them to the lfs and let them get them new homes?

Ok so. My two apple snails in the 10g tank are getting bigger by the week. Gotta get them new homes as they have apparently had little baby snails. Great... but not great. I dont mind the babies as they cant eat plants yet. But the big obes are eating plants. So what should i do with them? Can i just give them to a friend? Or take them to the lfs and let them get them new homes?

I'm not a snail expert but I'm sure the LFS will take them in for you.

Do you have true apples or are they mystery snails?

Pretty sure they are apples. They are well beyond the maximum size of mystery snails. They have the very long feelers above their heads and two shorter feelers on their heads. One is a pearl shell and the other is a purple stripe shell. Ill take pictures tonight when the lights come on in the tanks.

While they are beautiful creatures apparently i have their prodigy in my tank. And the are twice the size of all of my fish! Their foot measures about 2 inches and a 10g tank can no longer support their needs. They are helpful at munching on dead plant material... but i have run out of that. Ive had to drop algae tablets for them to eat.

I'm not a snail expert but I'm sure the LFS will take them in for you.
Thank you. I worry about their care at the lfs. They do care for large sized pond fish for a couple customers that bring them in before winter sets in. They do well with them. I dont feel that the lfs would give a crap about these snails is all. My friend has a snail eating ciclid so i cant give them to her. At worst ill take them to the lfs... im hoping someone around columbia tn will want them and ask to come get them.

I have mystery snails with a foot of 2+ inches. I thought apples were the size of small baseballs? But I am no expert on apples.

While im sure you are happy with your snails and they are beautiful ones at that. The term mystery snail is simply a term used when the actual identity of said snail is unknown. You may actually have apple snails and not even know it. I have thoroghly reseached and idetified these snails. I could post all the links i used to research but that would be laborious reading for most people. These two are only about 8 months to 1yr old. And they are growing bigger every week. They all start rather small. I even researched the eggs they laid and watched them as they changed. So yes my friend i am guite sure they are apple snails.

I would be interested in the links to accurately identify snails.

Back
Top Bottom