Want to start a 2.5 gallon shrimp bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yellow everyone, I was wondering if It would be possible to do a 2.5 gallon shrimp bowl. I have a spare 2.5 gallon fish bowl and some red cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon. What all would I need to get this thing going? I'll be using a small 15-20 watt desk lamp. I want to have some low maintenance plants in there. What would I do for filtration? I can't hang a HOB filter on a bowl so...? For heating I'll do an under gravel heating pad. How do I cycle a tank that small?

There are so many of these set ups explained on The Planted Tank forum. I highly recommend you take a look, I think they are in the nano tank section. They are generally set up using Walstad natural aquarium methods. You will find what you're looking for there!
From what I've seen, you do a lot of water changes to prevent spikes that your sensitive shrimp may succumb to.
I did this with gravel, java moss, hornwort, and java fern with 2 blue pearl shrimp. They survived 2 weeks without any care whatsoever, while i was on vacation. I wouldn't recommend it though ;)
I think the bowls are too much work for me, but they are definitely a fun project!

I just read the article, very interesting. I'll do it. I'm going to cycle using 50% water from my other tank and 50% aged tap. Also, this will be a 1 gallon not 2.5. Could I use regular top soil for substrate? I heard shrimp like sand. I'll also have a piece of driftwood in there.

I think I'm going to do sword tails, java fern, java moss, a zebra danio, a small snail and 3 red cherry shrimp to start. I'll use regular topsoil.

SleepsWithFish said:
I think I'm going to do sword tails, java fern, java moss, a zebra danio, a small snail and 3 red cherry shrimp to start. I'll use regular topsoil.

I wouldn't put a sword tail or a danio in a 1g or a 2.5g. Best to stick to the shrimp and snails I think.

Fluval makes a shrimp substrate that is great for plants its like little soil pellets works great but the water turns black and then settles clear in 24 hrs when first set up you can vacuum it just like gravel

Mumma.of.two said:
I wouldn't put a sword tail or a danio in a 1g or a 2.5g. Best to stick to the shrimp and snails I think.

Sorry I ment amazon sword like the plant. I thought you could put a danio in a 1 gallon? Oh well. For lighting I have a 3watt led lamp.

SleepsWithFish said:
Sorry I ment amazon sword like the plant. I thought you could put a danio in a 1 gallon? Oh well. For lighting I have a 3watt led lamp.

Haha. Got it. Danios need a lot more swimming space. They are active little fish. Some say the only fish you can keep in a 1g is a betta but I think it's even too small for them.

Oh and amazon swords get huge! They can fill a 2foot tank. Id stick to small crypts, mosses and java ferns.

Just did a google search on: Walstad shrimp bowls. And it came up with heaps of results. Have a look on there for some ideas :) They are really cool.

Haha. Got it. Danios need a lot more swimming space. They are active little fish. Some say the only fish you can keep in a 1g is a betta but I think it's even too small for them.

bettas need 5+ gallons

Yeah I'll just do shrimp and some micro sword and a java fern. I just started a build thread in the planted section...

Yellow everyone, I was wondering if It would be possible to do a 2.5 gallon shrimp bowl. I have a spare 2.5 gallon fish bowl and some red cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon. What all would I need to get this thing going? I'll be using a small 15-20 watt desk lamp. I want to have some low maintenance plants in there. What would I do for filtration? I can't hang a HOB filter on a bowl so...? For heating I'll do an under gravel heating pad. How do I cycle a tank that small?

You don't need a heater at all. RCS do great in cooler water, probably even better than tropical temps. I have several 1 gal shrimp set-ups, and I use a small sponge filter. If you aren't familiar with those I use one like this:Product Details for Allpet.com - Pet Supplies and Pet Products. which you would attach to a small air pump. To cycle the tank, run the sponge filter in your 10 gal for a couple weeks or so, then it should be good to go. IME shrimp are big time jumpers so I can't imagine using an open bowl, though I did see a similar set up featured in a popular aquarium magazine recently. I would be sure to use a CFL in the desk lamp so it doesn't heat up the water too much. :)

i just filled it with water from my ten gallon....so it should be ready to go once i buy some substrate and plants.

Well the water holds very little of the beneficial bacteria but shrimp have a very small bio-load so that just may work.

siva said:
Well the water holds very little of the beneficial bacteria but shrimp have a very small bio-load so that just may work.

Thats what I was thinking. I fed the bowl with some food so I'll test until ammo. And trites are 0.

siva said:
You don't need a heater at all. RCS do great in cooler water, probably even better than tropical temps. I have several 1 gal shrimp set-ups, and I use a small sponge filter. If you aren't familiar with those I use one like this:Product Details for Allpet.com - Pet Supplies and Pet Products. which you would attach to a small air pump. To cycle the tank, run the sponge filter in your 10 gal for a couple weeks or so, then it should be good to go. IME shrimp are big time jumpers so I can't imagine using an open bowl, though I did see a similar set up featured in a popular aquarium magazine recently. I would be sure to use a CFL in the desk lamp so it doesn't heat up the water too much. :)

I don't want to hijack the thread, I just want to ask what temps do you keep your RCS at? I want to give them an unheated tank, but the temp would drop to 65 at night! I can also give them a small heatee that keeps this in the high 60s/low 80s.

I hope you have fun with the bowl! I'm sure the shrimp will enjoy all the algae that may grow. Or, mine had a some. I kept it in indirect sunlight so maybe that's why. And beware the snails! I had snail population explosions in my bowls. Bleh.

Back
Top Bottom