Want to start a planted tank but don't know how!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20lbs of Eco complete, flourish, flourish tabs, Hagen Co2, and a diffuser. I'm going to use a Gooseneck lamp with a cfl bulb for lighting.

Maxkolbe said:
20lbs of Eco complete, flourish, flourish tabs, Hagen Co2, and a diffuser. I'm going to use a Gooseneck lamp with a cfl bulb for lighting.

Just try to get a 20-30w bulb or run two 10w in two lamp so you get more coverage. All the plants reach for light, so single bulb in the middle will leave darker areas. The plants will bend trying to reach it AFAIK.

Coursair said:
Just try to get a 20-30w bulb or run two 10w in two lamp so you get more coverage. All the plants reach for light, so single bulb in the middle will leave darker areas. The plants will bend trying to reach it AFAIK.

Thanks, that's good advice. How would you go about attaching the lamps if your tank has a rim on it, would it be Ok to just take some shears and trim off part of the rim so the light could clamp?

Maxkolbe said:
Thanks, that's good advice. How would you go about attaching the lamps if your tank has a rim on it, would it be Ok to just take some shears and trim off part of the rim so the light could clamp?

You can trim the rim or use desk lamps with long necks. You need to make sure they are secure if you use clamp lights !

Everything arrived today! :D unfortunately the cap for the flourish only treats a sixty gallon aquarium, how much should I use for ten gallons? I was also wondering what a good amount of yeast and sugar for the co2 is. Since I have a fairly uneventful day tomorrow I might be able to go to the store and get the lights and some plants (though I'll probably have to order some species). Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• image-1346305170.jpg
    image-1346305170.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 56
Hey I'm thinking about using clamp on lights for my 10 gallon too. May I ask what type of lamps your getting and where from?

I really don't know. I was just going to go to lowes and get one that fit and took the kind of bulb I need, preferably with a long neck.

Ikea has some good desk lamps as well. Lowes or Home Depot are good sources also. Either desk lamps with a wide base (stable ) Or clamp lights with a good clamp will work. Just unplug lights before putting hands in tank !!!! Just in case !

I just finished planting and I love how much better it looks. I stopped at petco and pickedup an amazon sword and a bunch of rotala indictus (I think that's what it was called but I probably spelled it wrong) since I couldn't wait for any plants that I order to get here. I also ended up getting a 40 watt bulb. (that was the smallest they had) and a lamp at menards. They both only cost ten dollars total, that made me feel good since a lot of the lights I was looking at online were in the$100 range. What do you think, I will probably order some glosso and a feature plant like a tiger lotus.

Attachments

• image-3424619416.jpg
    image-3424619416.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2137594189.jpg
    image-2137594189.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-404222703.jpg
    image-404222703.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image-781638392.jpg
    image-781638392.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 52
Maxkolbe said:
I just finished planting and I love how much better it looks. I stopped at petco and pickedup an amazon sword and a bunch of rotala indictus (I think that's what it was called but I probably spelled it wrong) since I couldn't wait for any plants that I order to get here. I also ended up getting a 40 watt bulb. (that was the smallest they had) and a lamp at menards. They both only cost ten dollars total, that made me feel good since a lot of the lights I was looking at online were in the$100 range. What do you think, I will probably order some glosso and a feature plant like a tiger lotus.

I don't really know my plants :) but I do like the one in picture 4.

Is it a compact fluorescent bulb ? What is the Kelvin rating ?
Careful, 40 watts may be too much light and if the bulb gets hot make sure you don't ever splash it.

Did you get the light from the reptile department ?

Yes it's a cfl, it's6500 k, it doesn't get hot, and it wasn't from the reptile department.

The betta doesn't like it though, would a 5000 k bulb work?

The difference between 6500K and 5000k is not going to mean much to your betta. I am sure the fish will adjust after a few days.

Ok, I may try raising the light higher or getting some floating plants just in case. It doesn't really matter though because the smallest I could find in 5000 k was a forty watt too.

Back
Top Bottom