want to start a planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndriscoll1322

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive never had a planted tank before, I have a 10 gal. Tank just sitting and I was thinking about starting one. Any suggestions?

Have you done any research on plants? once you find what you want to keep, it would be easier to help you figure out what you need.

I have done absolutely no research on plants. I wouldn't know where to start lol. I should probably start with some easy plants

Take a look at Aquariumplants.com You can get an idea of some of the plants that are available. They have a section of beginners plants.
Easy plants are probably best until you get some experience. Like mentioned, Javas, Crypts, common swords. If you have decent light, and want to use ferts, the options increase a little.

Before considering plants you need to think about what substrate you want to use, and most importantly what lighting your going to use since lighting determines what plants you can grow in your tank.

You don't use plain potting soil for dirting a tank and you really don't want to dirt a tank unless you plan on doing at least medium light. You can use sand or any commercial substrate for planted tanks which IMO would be better for a first planted tank.

What is your budget? I'd either go with an Led made for planted tanks or for a cheap option get a couple dome fixtures at the hardware store and use 2 CFL's. Then you'd need to use liquid carbon daily or do DIY CO2 along with good ferts.

Oops hit send too soon...

The articles contain a lot of helpful information on setting up and maintaining planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom