Want to try saltwater no experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

P2k12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybuddy! Well I am new to the salt water forums. I have a 20gallon long tank made by truvu. It is currently a tangynikan tank with crush coral substrate. Now I am new and do not know anything about salt water. What equipment do I need and how do I start the cycle?

Hi buy this book the reef aquarium volume 3 by delbeek and sprung. Cause knowledge = patience = experience just be patient read an research good luck on your build.

There's endless info out there and some of it can be false. My best advice is to research on your own, from a trusted source. AA articles can be a good start for basic start:

Important Information for Those New to the Aquarium Hobby - Aquarium Advice

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

When I first started I checked out library books and looked on liveaquaria.com for livestock selection and some info.

The equipment depends on if you want corals or not. Either way, you don't need a skimmer since it's a small aquarium.
Other than what you have:
-1-2 lbs of rock, depending on what looks good and how porous the rock is (can have 75% base rock and 25% LR [just ex.])
-Filter rated up to twice as much as the water volume
-Test kit!!! API will work.
-light for FOWLR (fish only w/ live rock) can be anything
for reef depends if you want soft or hard corals, or both and how much you're willing to spend b/c light fixtures + bulbs (or LEDs) can get expensive.

Back
Top Bottom