Wanted: Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithw14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I seem to have the opposite problem of everyone else in the world. My 20g community tank does not appear to have enough algae to feed my 3 otto catfish and my 3 apple snails. Or at least I don't think it does. The tank is cycled, has been for quite some time, but I do not see any new algae growth on the glass. The ottos and snails are moving along quite nicely, sucking on things - but how do I know they are eating algae I just cannot see and not starving to death? I do drop sinking wafers for them to munch on - is this a sufficient supplement? They are not "algae" wafers, just bottom feeder wafers. Should I be concerned about the lack of algae, or be thankful? :)

Thanks

William

William, I am in the same boat! I've got a cute little ruberlip pleco and I'm always worrying that he doesn't have enough algae (though I do supplement him with algae wafers, veggies, etc). I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say.

Do you have live plants in you aquarium?

You can try leaving your lights on an hour or two longer to get more algae to grow. My Otos (and Corys and shrimp) love (and I mean LOVE) Hikari sinking algae wafers. They do seem to prefer the Hikari brand over Wardley, so I'm buying only Hikari from now on.

Otos will also eat the biofilm that covers all surfaces inside your aquarium (especially on plants).

My tanks all have a small amount of algae visible (I've tailored the time I have the lights on to achieve this), as Otos do seem to need at least some live algae to be happy. I supplement with about 1/2 of an algae wafer a day in my tanks with 3 Otos, and this seems to be working well. At least my Otos always seem plump, healthy, active, and friendly.

My Bristlenose also likes the Hikari wafers over the Wardley, but I now have him eating the Wardley kind, since I have a whole bag.

If you don't have any live plants, I'd get some low light plants like java fern and anubias. Leave the lights on for atleast 8 hours a day, maybe even 10 hours. Live plants seem to invite algae into the tank.

I'd get some algae wafers and drop in 1/2 every night. My ottos love them as does my bristlenose.

my bristlenose's and snails like krill pellets as well, if you wanted to vary their diet a bit. Fish love them also, and usually they're gone before the snails get to the pellet. If i drop one near the snail it has to hide in it's shell because of all the fish swimming nearby trying to eat the pellet!!

You can farm algae on rocks placed out in the sun, in aquarium water. Adding a little fertilizer might speed it up. Just rotate the stones from the fish tank to the grow container, as the algae is consumed.

the snails will enjoy pieces of sliced carrot, zuchini and other vegetable matter, not sure about the otos. Carrots seems to be a favorite.

You could just let me take care of your aquarium for a couple of weeks. I am an expert at only growing algae!!

frostby said:
You could just let me take care of your aquarium for a couple of weeks. I am an expert at only growing algae!!

lol

Catfish actually have a gut that you can check out. On there underside, just behind the head is a patch of softer - usually lightered coloured skin. If this is a nice curved 'Belly' then your fish are fine. Once this turns concave though - You need to supplement them!

Back
Top Bottom