Wanted- Coral Frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for cheap coral frags that I can put in my 10 gallon tank to get it looking nice. I don't wantto spend 30 bucks a pop for stuff at teh LFS. Si I am looking for frags that I can get for cheap from people that have extra.

I have a PC that is 96W so anyhting that would work in that lighting is desired. Mushrooms are a great starter.

You have 96w over a ten gallon tank? Thats alot of light and probably to much for mushrooms, and most easy corals. Also, your gonna pay 30+ just for shipping so I don't thing your gonna be saving much. I would wait til warmer weather for shipping corals but I don't have anything that would do well under that much light, sorry. :?

What are you talking about that is not a huge amount of lighting. Remember I have a power compaq floresent lighting fixture not a halide. the 96W power quad from coralife is not an overpowering bulb for a nano type tank. Actually my lighing would nto be enough for most soft corals and for clams. So I am nto sure what oyu are talkign about. I think mushrooms would do great in the tank.

What do you have avaliable?

I agree I want to do prioroty type shipping from a place that is not too far away. Then I will get the package in about 1-2 days, not have to pay too much money for shipping and still have the coral alive. Weather right now is super cold so not the perfect time but it is a good time to get an idea of who would be willign to send me a frag.

If anybody lives near the Philadelphia area and is willign to give or sell me a frag for cheap we could arange a pick up.

jasno999 said:
What are you talking about that is not a huge amount of lighting. Remember I have a power compaq floresent lighting fixture not a halide. the 96W power quad from coralife is not an overpowering bulb for a nano type tank. Actually my lighing would nto be enough for most soft corals and for clams. So I am nto sure what oyu are talkign about. I think mushrooms would do great in the tank.

What do you have avaliable?

I agree I want to do prioroty type shipping from a place that is not too far away. Then I will get the package in about 1-2 days, not have to pay too much money for shipping and still have the coral alive. Weather right now is super cold so not the perfect time but it is a good time to get an idea of who would be willign to send me a frag.

If anybody lives near the Philadelphia area and is willign to give or sell me a frag for cheap we could arange a pick up.

I know you have PC lights, I read your post. It's still 9.6wpg of light.
I don't have anything that would do well under that much light. All of my corals and anemones are under 4.7wpg. Good luck in your search.

Fluff. I just don't think my setup is overpowering. I realize you guys know more than me but I did nto go and burchase a light with no knowadge. I researched a year ao and found that output to be good for doing low to medimum level corals. Either I was lied to or different people have different theories on floresent verses halid and overall ouput for each.

Does it matter that the bulb is 50/50 blue and white light?

Could I have a clam in my tank with my lighting output?

I'm not sure I can explain this the right way so bear with me. I don't know who told you to get 96w for a ten gallon but I'm sure their intentions were good. The problem with that much light is, while some corals may adjust and do fine, others are gonna shrink up, bleach out or go under a ledge if possible. I know most soft (beginner/easy) corals are moderate light corals. To me moderate light would be 4-6wpg. Anymore than that and they may not expand to their full potential.
As for the 50/50 combo. It's normal to have the two colors. The blue light helps pull color from your corals and makes them look more vibrant. The white light is the important one for simulating daylight. There is an article on marine lighting by Bob Fenner at wetwebmedia.com if you'd like to check it out.
I don't know if you can keep a clam or not. I know most clams get to big for a 10g tank so it would be temporary but am not well read on clams in general. Sorry.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/setup/lighting/index.htm

I agree, I had a 2x32 set up on a 10 gal and some of my zoos and softies just did not do as well as they did in my MH set up on my 75 gal.

I attribute some of it to water quality since my main tank had a lot more water volume. I did run a refugium on t he 10 gal too.

I have a lot of softies that I sell to AA members. Weather has not be good lately. Priority mail is 2-3 days for most places and heat packs I have seen won't last that long. I am waiting for the temps to come up.

Interesting. I feel cheated because I thought I have the righ lighting to do most anyhitng except for clams and the corals that required high light outputs.

Does it matter that I have the PC 4-5 inches above the water surface?

Not saying it won't work. Might depend on the lighting conditions of the corals before you get them. You can always adjust the height to lessen the intensity. I have heard of 150 watt MH over a 10 gal. Depends on what you want to keep. I have some leathers that are at the top of the tank and love it. They do well in lower light situations too though.

Try it and find out :)

I have the coralife 96 watt light on my tank. It doens't even bring the corals to life as it should. The whole WPG thing for saltwater is nonsense. It all depends on what YOU want to keep. For keeping zooanthids, lps, mushrooms (lower in the tank), and even maybe some lower light loving sps corals (up top) the powerquad would work good.
This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

I'm sorry jasno999, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about.
I never said the lights wouldn't work. All I said was that it was alot of light for a 10g tank. The request was for easy corals. Most "easy" corals are lower light corals. A ten gallon tank isn't that big, theres only so much room for tucking lower light corals in the bottom. There are some corals that will adjust to the lights while others will bleach and just not expand. I said to try it but that may have been in your other thread. The only reason I even mentioned WPG was for comparison sake. The thread is a request for cheap corals and I'd help out with that if I thought my corals would thrive for him.

I have the coralife 96 watt light on my tank.

Don't you have a 29g tank? Little difference between that and a 10g ;)

Personally I don't think 96w PC is too much light for a 10g, but let's compare apples to apples. Jasno999 I think you should look into the light loving corals, rather than the ones that shy away, and you should probably try and get frags from others running LOTS of light in their tank. If you don't, make sure to acclimate to frags slowly to the new light.

stewie - PM me or e-mail me to tell me what the rest of your post said since they dut it out due to content. I would liek to hear what you have to say cause you have the 96W on a 10 gallon. I also have some questions for you on how you keep your tank from havign algae issues and the like. My e-mail is at the bottom os this post. I am puttign it there in case it is against board policy and they remove it.

Fluff- I am sorry if I said somehting wrong. I beleive you and the other board members. YOu guys and girls are the experts compared to me. I think it is true that every setup is different. 96W for me might not work or it might work for mushrooms. I will not knwo till I try it. Foir now the mushrooms are fully expanded when the lights are on. I take that as a good sign and will keep you all posted on the situation. I really ppreciate you input and I love having you and the other members as a platform to get advice. Thanks.

Right now I am more worried about the fact that I am havign issues with water quality in the sense that I have too much algae growth that is nto stopping. I am doing over and above the normal water changes with RO water. My next step is to buy a phosphate test kit and see if that is an issue. If so I don't know what to do besides get that phosphate removal stuff that comes in bags or loose to add to filter media. I can't figure it out.

stewie - PM me or e-mail me to tell me what the rest of your post said since they dut it out due to content.

Actually, if he were to do that, he would be subject to banning for soliciting other boards hear on aquariumadvice.com.

Reefrunner,
wow, you're correct. I DID have a 29 gallon freshwater, but over the course of the summer I upgraded to a 10 gallon saltwater w/ a 20 sump/fuge and a 55 gallon saltwater with a 55 sump/fuge.
Haven't been around these boards lately as i've been busy and such.
As for me posting something i shouldn't have -- sorry about that folks. It won't happen again. I can assure you of that.
Stewie

Jasno99: If you can wait till the temps get a bit warmer, I might be able to send you some stuff. I have a lot of leather frags, zoos green buttons and some green star polyp that have handled MH's so they should be ok with your setup. Most are $5 each and can be shipped 2 day priority. It is too cold right now though.

Ok. Well I wish Stewie could send me a message. Can he e-mail me at Jason_Crandall@Hotmail.com to talk abot uother stuff. I am jsut looking for help and he has a similar setup so I figured his experience would help.

My lights are somewhat old but I did pay a lot of money for them. I guess I could move to a lower light setup but to spend more moeny for thsi 10 gallon tank is a bit crazy. Might jsut start saving for a large setup.

I aslo think you guys are right as it appears the mushroom coral that I have is losign its color. It is fully extended and looks like it is tryign to get as much light as possiable. However it is a brownish to slightly readish color. When it was at the store it was not fully extended but it was green in color. At the store they had metal halids but they were hanging about 3feet above the display tanks where the coal is located. I am guessing due to too much light the mushroom is losing color. I am goign to try and figure out a way to re-build my rock structure so as to locate at least some of the musroom under some shade

ellisz - I can wait. I have nothing but time. Jsut don't forget abotu me. If you have some frags that can do well in a higher light situation that would be fantastic. When the weater is nto so cold we can set something up.

Before jumping into corals you should get your water quality issues corrected. The light issue will be a nonissue if your water quality if poor.
Pick up some test kits and check your water for Phosphates, nitrates. check your top off water also. RO water can contain these so you need to check it..

Ok. I think somewhere in previous posts I had mentioned soem of this but let me restate for this post. I have all the typical kits. Everyhting is in range on those kits. The only thing that was slightly elevated was nitrates one time and I did a water change and all was good. So when I look at nitrates/nitirtes/ammonia/PH everyhting checks out. My calcium levels are good- sometimes almost too high and I am not sure why but they have evened out.

I am waiting for my posphate kit in the mail.

It puzzles me that you guys think these things could all still be in the water when I am runnign an RO water purifer with a DI cartrige attached. I guess it puzzles me cause with that type of system you should be gettign water that is close to 99% pure. That is one of the best ways to make sure the water goign into your tank is of good quality. In reality what else could one do to get bettr water??? I don't think there is anyhting else you clould do.

So if there are contaminants in the system they are coming from someplace else is my guess. I will check the Posphate levels on water out of the RO system to see but I am hoping and doubting that they will be high.

So it has to be food, lighting or something else causing the algae. I have stopped addign food for the past few days. So nothing besides the top off RO water has entered the system. I also jsut took off the 96W bulb and put a normal 10 gallon single strip floursent light on the tank. I realize this will not work in any way for the long term but I want to give it a few days to see what happens. I want to see if alage issues are helped and by how much. I als want to see if my mushroom coral starts to get some coloring back as it had turned brownish.

Back
Top Bottom