Wanted some opinions on my new tank set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfer1712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up my first ever saltwater aquarium, all though I have had freshwater for quite some time. Saltwater is much more exciting.

My aquarium is a 75 gallon long aquarium. I have about 80 pounds of crushed coral as my substrate. I also have 2 millennium 3000 filters, Prizm protein skimmer, 2 powerheads, and a ebo jager 250 watt heater. What is your feelings on this set-up?

I am using the shrimp cycling method and my tank has only been cycling for 2 days but I am already excited about buying my first fish. I know it will be a while but I am doing lots of research to figure out what fish to start out with. My favorite fish of all is the Amphiprion ocellaris (common clownfish) or the Amphiprion Percula. Would either of these be fine to be the first fish added to my tank, if so which one would be better? Should I get a pair? I also would like to get a regal tang eventually. Would these two be compatible.

I love saltwater aquariums even without the fish. Thanks everyone :D

Hmm, since you are only 2 days into it you could change the CC and use a DSB of southdown. From what I hear CC is a big problem, although it can be used. Also, do you not have any LR? I advise you get some.... As for the fish the two clowns would be great first fish and a regal tang, i think this is a pacific blue would be ok too

What types of problems are they having with the crushed coral? What exactly is DSB of southdown?

surfer welcome to the SW hobby! Setup sounds Awesome. d9hp is right i would suggest getting some LR for sure, and CC im not sure about that i have heard good and bad stories. I would go with a fine grain of LS especially if you want to have a sifting star or other substrate fish. Sounds like youll have some fun with that setup. Just BEWARE about the tang the Pacific Blue gets very large! And after some time keeping the tang you may have to sell or trade for a smaller one and they are very hard to get rid of after you have loved him for so long. Clowns are a great starting fish and if you have a pair IMO i would introduce at same time for better results. DSB is a live sand, that is great for sifting creatures, CC is known for having amonia problems i do believe. Good luck to you and happy fishing! :)

Crushed Coral can collect uneaten fish food as well as fish waste. This will cause you to either have to syphon the substrate to keep it clean or have an abundance of nitrates in your tank. A DSB is going to allow those larger particles of fish food and waste to not collect. It also gives a location for the completion of the nitrate cycle since it can further be broken down into nitrogen gas in the lower regions of the sand bed that are oxygen deprived. Users of a DSB also do not have to syphon the substrate at all.

Wow, getting DSB sounds like a great idea. But would I be able to put a layer of it on top of the CC instead of removing all of it?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Everything you said made me one step closer to completing my dream aquarium. :fadein:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom